*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 2.2 tdci head gasket

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 2.2 tdci head gasket

Postby camper-man » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 pm

I have just bought a Transit mk7 tourneo 2.2 tdci and the guy I got it off thinks the head gasket has gone its not over heated but this is what he has been told and going to collect it tomorrow and was hoping to drive it home but may need to tow it back.

Do these 2.2 tdci engines have trouble with head gaskets or could this be something else?

Any help would be fantastic,Also thanks in advance.
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: mk7 2.2 tdci head gasket

Postby Airthies » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:39 am

Not impossible it's head gasket but is it loosing water? S it presurising cooling system? Or is it oil in water?
If its not oil in water then start by checking if it's got EGR cooler pipe, if so disconnect pipes from EGR and join together to bypass it, they are more common to crack and let gas/water through.

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:07 am

It's pretty rare for head gaskets to fail on these engines. Water in oil or oil in water..?? Do as Airthies recommends and you won't go far wrong.
Oil cooler or EGR cooler are more common to fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby camper-man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks for the advise
I don't know if the oil or water has mixed until I go and collect it later today but I will check if its got egr cooler pipe,Never done this job but it it has got a egr cooler pipe can it be done before a drive it home and are the pipes easy to joint together,Thanks again for any help you can give me.
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 am

camper-man wrote:Thanks for the advise
I don't know if the oil or water has mixed until I go and collect it later today but I will check if its got egr cooler pipe,Never done this job but it it has got a egr cooler pipe can it be done before a drive it home and are the pipes easy to joint together,Thanks again for any help you can give me.

What year model, FWD or RWD..?? It should have an EGR cooler but some don't have a water cooled EGR valve. If the cooler is leaking you'll possibly be seeing sweet smelling steam out the exhaust. If it's the oil cooler leaking you could have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil....or both.
EGR cooler pipes can be connected together with a short pice of copper pipe to get you home, this will isolate the cooler itself. If RWD it's a pain to get at though as the cooler runs around the back of the cyl head.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby camper-man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

knobby1 wrote:
camper-man wrote:Thanks for the advise

What year model, FWD or RWD..?? It should have an EGR cooler but some don't have a water cooled EGR valve. If the cooler is leaking you'll possibly be seeing sweet smelling steam out the exhaust. If it's the oil cooler leaking you could have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil....or both.
EGR cooler pipes can be connected together with a short pice of copper pipe to get you home, this will isolate the cooler itself. If RWD it's a pain to get at though as the cooler runs around the back of the cyl head.

Lord Knobrot

Hi,Its a 2007 tourneo FWD am not collecting it now till Saturday bit of copper pipe is ready "15mm am thinking" I just want to get it back home "Driving" and not need to tow it 100mile :(

Just to check I have this right
If its got a water cooled egr I will remove the pipes and join them together
If its got oil in water -This could be the oil cooler Is that right?
Anything else I should check.

Thanks again am lost on mk7s been driving mk5s for so long
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm

camper-man wrote:Hi,Its a 2007 tourneo FWD am not collecting it now till Saturday bit of copper pipe is ready "15mm am thinking" I just want to get it back home "Driving" and not need to tow it 100mile :(

If you have a water cooled EGR valve, it will have coolant pipes to/from it, the EGR cooler assy is another separate item and will be in the passenger side of the cyl head, The EGR valve itself, while physically connected to the cooler assy, is separate. See here, the cooler is item 9F464, the EGR valve is item 9D475:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... U1MzUrMTMz

It's the two EGR "cooler" hoses you want to connect to each other not the Valve hoses, (if the EGR cooler itself is leaking).

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby camper-man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 pm

knobby1 wrote:
camper-man wrote:Hi,Its a 2007 tourneo FWD am not collecting it now till Saturday bit of copper pipe is ready "15mm am thinking" I just want to get it back home "Driving" and not need to tow it 100mile :(

If you have a water cooled EGR valve, it will have coolant pipes to/from it, the EGR cooler assy is another separate item and will be in the passenger side of the cyl head, The EGR valve itself, while physically connected to the cooler assy, is separate. See here, the cooler is item 9F464, the EGR valve is item 9D475:

It's the two EGR "cooler" hoses you want to connect to each other not the Valve hoses, (if the EGR cooler itself is leaking).

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for that I hope this is whats wrong with the van and not any big jobs,
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby camper-man » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Bit of a up-date on the van,The guy I bought it from has replaced the-Turbo,EGR,Oil Cooler and a few other bits all in the last 12 months Van is running and drives fine no over heating = But it has oil in the water and he has been told its the head gasket. :(

Any one have any ideas what it could be? :?
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Proper mk7 4x4. (none of yr namby pamby AWD nonsense)

Postby Airthies » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I'd be checking the oil cooler again and a proper flush and clean then check for oil leaks, if it's had a cooler go but not cleaned out properly then there could be enough oil left in the system.
Also depends on cooler that's been replaced what condition or quality was it and finely it's possible to have a duff part straight out the box

Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Proper mk7 4x4. (none of yr namby pamby AWD nonsense)

Postby camper-man » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Airthies wrote:I'd be checking the oil cooler again and a proper flush and clean then check for oil leaks, if it's had a cooler go but not cleaned out properly then there could be enough oil left in the system.
Also depends on cooler that's been replaced what condition or quality was it and finely it's possible to have a duff part straight out the box

Yes thats my next moving am going to try and flush it all out Whats the best way of doing this?

Am thinking of changing the oil cooler In-case is a broken part they put on and the header tank as it full of oil so rather than clean it I was going to replace it.

Thanks again for your help any more you have would be great
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby v8dave » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 pm

mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Airthies » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:55 pm

As V8dave has said

Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marc1234567 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:36 pm

I have similar problem . bought it with known coolant loss. seems to be some dirt or something in coolant . coolant has fumes in and is pressurising. there is a valve I think that is squealing releasing pressure. audible from inside cab. some evidence of water in oil
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby marc1234567 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:06 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I'm not person you responded to but i have pressurised header, water loss , exhaust gas problem

if you do not connect to each other the two hoses on the EGR itself , can there be symptoms of pressurised header and exhaust gasses? i've already connected the two hoses on the cooler and thought this was a bypass . the gasses were still getting to header so I have been starting job of getting g head off but on looking at egr again I noticed the hosesgojng to egr aswell.
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits