*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ABS dash light problem help

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

ABS dash light problem help

Postby Marauder » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 pm

2008 2.2 FWD. Just fitted new Hub,Disc,Pads on nearside of Van all good. Drove Van round in the road NO lights on Dash all GOOD.The Drivers Side I had problems and eventually replaced Disc,Hub,Pads with new cable....In the process I broke the ABS sensor which fits behind rear Hub. Ordered a new Sensor bolted it in and fed the cable to the socket under van Back of the Axle. Put keys in ignition started up and without even moving.. I now have the ABS Dash light on also another yellow dash light with a pic of van with skid trails ? Also a 3rd yellow light with possible a question mark in the middle of it on the right hand side of the Speedo.
Its a new ABS sensor ! Does it need a LEARN to stop the Dash lights illuminating. I have checked connection several times all seems ok. Now I'm at a loss. Please give me a few ideas what went wrong.
I put a cheap code reader on and it said No faults ?

Do you think a fuse ?

What if I disconected the battery for a couple of mins do you think it would re-set the 3 Dash Lights

Do these replacement ABS Sensors have to have a Learn done.

Any helpfull info appriciated.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: ABS dash light problem help

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Take it for a drive and see will it go out :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Ok I went on a 10 mile run the ABS and the other 2 Dash lights still on.Disconected then re-connected the Battery. Lights still on.Got back underneath and re-checked the the connections of the new ABS Sensor at both ends several times and all looked ok. I'm now stuck,,, Surely some one out there knows if the Van now needs a Learn to find the new sensor ???? I also put my Meter on again and it says no faults....Help
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Is it rear hubs you were doing?
Does the new hub have the abs ring on it,
Was the old sensor same length as the new one, check for broken wire on old cable, they can break inside the plastic outer usually at back of the plug
ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 am

Marauder wrote:Surely some one out there knows if the Van now needs a Learn to find the new sensor ???? I also put my Meter on again and it says no faults....Help

They don't require a"learn"...should be plug 'n play. If you have a light on, there "WILL" be codes stored. What reader are you using..?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am

Yes I replaced rear Hubs with the inner abs ring,Pads Both sides, when I started up and turned the Van round on the drive so I could work in comfort there was no lights on.. The Offside I broke the old abs sensor while fitting the new Hub so I bought a new one " pig-tail with the abs" sensor that looks nice and close with a small air gap at side of abs ring. Bought the new sensor from tpuk, I have removed it and re-fitted it several times. Checked the 2 Fuses under the bonnet and they wear ok.The last thing I'm thinking of doing is to get the Son under the Van remove the one end of the abs lead and put a meter on it while I turn the road wheel and see if the meter shows any slight voltage from the abs ring and sensor. ..Ps at least one thing has come out of all this, While under bonnet checking the fuse I noticed that the Glow plug fuse is bust, explains the start problem.
also as you told me the abs bits don't need a learn
my meter I cant of its name .But no faults are showing.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Marauder wrote:Yes I replaced rear Hubs with the inner abs ring,Pads Both sides, when I started up and turned the Van round on the drive so I could work in comfort there was no lights on.. The Offside I broke the old abs sensor while fitting the new Hub so I bought a new one " pig-tail with the abs" sensor that looks nice and close with a small air gap at side of abs ring. Bought the new sensor from tpuk, I have removed it and re-fitted it several times. Checked the 2 Fuses under the bonnet and they wear ok.The last thing I'm thinking of doing is to get the Son under the Van remove the one end of the abs lead and put a meter on it while I turn the road wheel and see if the meter shows any slight voltage from the abs ring and sensor. ..Ps at least one thing has come out of all this, While under bonnet checking the fuse I noticed that the Glow plug fuse is bust, explains the start problem.
also as you told me the abs bits don't need a learn
my meter I cant of its name .But no faults are showing.

You still need to check continuity of all the sensor looms....they often break a wire inside the plastic sheath, or in the connector and can't be seen from outside.
Once again...if it has a light on...it "WILL" have at least one fault code stored.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:58 pm

LATEST ,, Son worked on it most of the Day,Checked the Abs cable plastic outer sheath the one that's connected to the underbody of Van for breaks in the wires, So Peeled the plastic outer sheath back no wires was broken. Then he plugged our Multy meter into the socket which is under the Van and No resistance on the socket at all !! Strange as we had resistance on the end of the pigtail plug from the wheel sensor.. Checked under bonnet fuses all ok.Some one coming tomorrow with a second type of Code reader meter, Will see if that throws any codes ….Wish I left well alone now.

Just a thought if the wire in the female socket under the Van Could just be cut off.Then cut the male plug of the Sensor Wire and solder the wires together ???? That way it would at least eliminate the plug and socket poss fault what you think.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tilly » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

ABS needs to see the pulses to operate. If you just join the wires together it wont help. The fault codes will tell you which ABS sensor is at fault.
Mk7, FWD 110ps GLX in Silver 2007
tilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits