*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Noob with alternator problems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Noob with alternator problems

Postby turbomad » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 am

Hi guys just joined as I have bought a recovery truck for taking my drift car to events

Brief history

I bought it off a mate
Ended up needing sills ect so I welded in new ones for mot
Then it started to make a horrible noise from the bellhousing which I thought was the flywheel but turns out it was the starter so I replaced it sorted the noise

Then a few days later the battery light come on so I replaced battery as this van had sat since last mot it didn't help so I checked alternator had 0 volts at the terminal on the alternator so bought a new one off eBay (repaired bosch) fitted it and the battery light went out but the van is still not charging
when I put the multimeter across battery I get 11v and if I put load on I can watch it go down by the second
I have checked all fuses they are fine checked the charge relay it clicks when you plug it back in I got a replacement alternator yesterday as I thought it was just a dud alternator made no difference 0 volts at the alternator when running so kind of running out of ideas the plug with 3 wires what are they doing? As i can look at them one of the wires looks to of had a repair as I can see scotch locks on it

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Stefan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
turbomad

Re: Noob with alternator problems

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Would help if you told us what year model, engine etc, Mk6 or Mk7...as the charging systems are a tad different.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RustWidow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Scotchlocks suggest an accessory was fitted and now has been removed... isn’t there a thread with wiring diagrams etc lurking about on the forum?

Hope you get to the bottom of this.
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ml Autos » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:12 am

turbomad wrote:Hi guys just joined as I have bought a recovery truck for taking my drift car to events

Brief history

I bought it off a mate
Ended up needing sills ect so I welded in new ones for mot
Then it started to make a horrible noise from the bellhousing which I thought was the flywheel but turns out it was the starter so I replaced it sorted the noise

Then a few days later the battery light come on so I replaced battery as this van had sat since last mot it didn't help so I checked alternator had 0 volts at the terminal on the alternator so bought a new one off eBay (repaired bosch) fitted it and the battery light went out but the van is still not charging
when I put the multimeter across battery I get 11v and if I put load on I can watch it go down by the second
I have checked all fuses they are fine checked the charge relay it clicks when you plug it back in I got a replacement alternator yesterday as I thought it was just a dud alternator made no difference 0 volts at the alternator when running so kind of running out of ideas the plug with 3 wires what are they doing? As i can look at them one of the wires looks to of had a repair as I can see scotch locks on it

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Stefan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Negative lead
Ml Autos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby slugmeister » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Since you changed the starter, check the wiring. Your symptoms are the same as when I removed the starter and put it back on with it wired wrong.

3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slugmeister
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits