*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Possible headgasket failure?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Possible headgasket failure?

Postby ChowderV4 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Just after a big of info/guidance here.

I've got a 2.4 rwd lwb mk6 last night I noticed some white smoke while running, and when I went to restart it the engine turned over once and no more a couple Of times (as if the battery was flat, battery is fine)

Unfortunately I was about 50miles from home so attempted to nurse it home, after a while driving I started losing power suddenly and noticed the temp gauge had fired up into the red.

Pulled it over and turned it off. Overflow bottle was empty and any attempt to restart was just a click of the starter as if it had seized or hydraulic locked.

My gut feeling is headgasket failure but is there anything else I should look for?
Headgasket replacement, relatively doable?
ChowderV4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Possible headgasket failure?

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 pm

EGR cooler is probably shot...your white smoke from exhaust is more than likely steam. You can isolate the EGR cooler to get you out of trouble untill you're able to replace it.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Head gasket failures are rare on these engines.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hobnobber » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi, just wondering have you got anywhere with this problem yet? I've got 2010 mk7 with very similar symptoms.
Been to see a couple of pals in different garages who are both saying its head gasket, but got no oil in water nor water in oil. Is the EGR cooler something
that pipes could be linked out and valve blanked off?
Just rather try this first than pulling head off to find out it could've been EGR cooler.
Oh and heaters in cab don't heat up but blowers work fine, pretty sure this is connected but not sure why heat would be non existing.
Cheers
hobnobber
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:54 pm

hobnobber wrote:Hi, just wondering have you got anywhere with this problem yet? I've got 2010 mk7 with very similar symptoms.
Been to see a couple of pals in different garages who are both saying its head gasket, but got no oil in water nor water in oil. Is the EGR cooler something
Just rather try this first than pulling head off to find out it could've been EGR cooler.
Oh and heaters in cab don't heat up but blowers work fine, pretty sure this is connected but not sure why heat would be non existing.
Cheers
Go to local Range store and get a join for hoses and couple of hose clips, or use a bit of pipe , just take both water hoses of egr and join

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ChowderV4 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:57 pm

hobnobber wrote:Hi, just wondering have you got anywhere with this problem yet? I've got 2010 mk7 with very similar symptoms.
Cheers

I haven't had the time to investigate yet.
I'll be looking over it this week.
I'll let you know what I find
ChowderV4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby monkey69 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am

I have had a similar problem , did you fix yours?
2009 2.2 mk7
monkey69
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby captainkevey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm

i have exact same problem did you sort it out be great to let me know ta
2.2 t280 ( but not really as its a 330 ) 06 plate lwb-hi top
captainkevey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:31 am

captainkevey wrote:i have exact same problem did you sort it out be great to let me know ta
You do realise this post was 2018 and monkeys question in 2019 has still not been answered,
YOU NEVER MENTIONED STEAM BELTING OUT FROM EXHAUST IN YOUR POST?? DID IT??

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits