*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Taking exhaust off to flush out soot??

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Taking exhaust off to flush out soot??

Postby andz327 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm

ned wrote:The MOT man (or woman) will write FAIL on your next MOT and spank you hard

I don't think you can just blank/remove the egr on the mk7 :?
Nope they don't like just getting blocked and keep wire conected

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

andz327 wrote:
ned wrote:The MOT man (or woman) will write FAIL on your next MOT and spank you hard

I don't think you can just blank/remove the egr on the mk7 :?
Nope they don't like just getting blocked and keep wire conected

ANDZ

Can you explain with more words please Andz?
Ford Transit Mk 7 Panel van, ex-posty's, 57 reg, 2007. Duratorq TDCI 2.2 (85PS)
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:07 am

Hang on, Nope as in yes, they don't like getting blocked, and,

make sure I keep the wire connected,

Got it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:14 am

Karst wrote:Fantastic thank you Ned!

I think I may have the conclusion!

I'll get one of those partial blanking plates and ceremoniously bring the controversy to a temporary pause :mrgreen:

Even the blanking plate with the hole can and often does throw a fault code, tried one in mine some time back, lasted two days before I had overboost/underboost codes and I pulled it out again.
I believe this is how it works...the PCM is expecting to see certain flow and pressure readings from the MAF and MAP sensors depending on rpm, throttle position and load, if these readings are outside the set parameters, the PCM will throw up a fault code....usually saying "underboost or overboost"....which some people seem to think is turbo related...but is not. With the EGR blanked or partially blanked, it upsets these flow and prssure readings and causes all sorts of grief.

I found the best remedy is to get the whole system working as it was designed....since I did that to mine...no issues since, haven't had a single fault code or engine issue for well over 18 months..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:10 am

knobby1 wrote:
Karst wrote:[size=150]Fantastic thank you Ned!

I'll get one of those partial blanking plates and ceremoniously bring the controversy to a temporary pause :mrgreen:

Even the blanking plate with the hole can and often does throw a fault code, tried one in mine some time back, lasted two days before I had overboost/underboost codes and I pulled it out again.
I believe this is how it works...the PCM is expecting to see certain flow and pressure readings from the MAF and MAP sensors depending on rpm, throttle position and load, if these readings are outside the set parameters, the PCM will throw up a fault code....usually saying "underboost or overboost"....which some people seem to think is turbo related...but is not. With the EGR blanked or partially blanked, it upsets these flow and prssure readings and causes all sorts of grief.

I found the best remedy is to get the whole system working as it was designed....since I did that to mine...no issues since, haven't had a single fault code or engine issue for well over 18 months..

Lord Knobrot

Knobby, Have you ever had to clean out or do any servicing to the EGR Valve Cooler, Part no. 1683527?
[/size]
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 am

Karst wrote:Knobby, Have you ever had to clean out or do any servicing to the EGR Valve Cooler, Part no. 1683527?[/size]

Not the EGR cooler, I only cleaned out the inlet manifold & head ports and changed the EGR valve itself as it was stuck/broken, but mine only has 130,000km or about 80k miles on it. The coolers often rust out from the inside if the coolant isn't kept in good condition.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:55 am

knobby1 wrote:
Karst wrote:Knobby, Have you ever had to clean out or do any servicing to the EGR Valve Cooler, Part no. 1683527?[/size]

Not the EGR cooler, I only cleaned out the inlet manifold & head ports and changed the EGR valve itself as it was stuck/broken, but mine only has 130,000km or about 80k miles on it. The coolers often rust out from the inside if the coolant isn't kept in good condition.

Lord Knobrot

Thank you Knobby.

I'll just just put the dang thing back together then.

Mine's done 83,000 miles.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:00 pm

At last!!!

Got the whole danged thing back together again today, and guess what? It worked!

There was a bit of gunk left in the manifold, but a mechanic assured me that is ok ("The heat will dissolve away any bits that fall off")

Below is a photo of what I used to clean through the pipe coming from the EGR valve to the main air inlets. I twisted the end into a ball with pliers, and this way I was able to poke it through all the bends.

It's taken the best part of 4 days :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Does the van feel more responsive now it can breath easier :D it's a messy job but well worth it, now you just need to keep on top of it.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:12 pm

I haven't had the chance to actually drive it around yet, might tomorrow, but definitely Wednesday. However, I absolutely swear it sounds quieter and smoother! :D
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Aye it's that quieter sound that counts, nowt like your van sounding like an asthmatic who smoke 60 a day :lol:
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm

ned wrote:Aye it's that quieter sound that counts, nowt like your van sounding like an asthmatic who smoke 60 a day :lol:
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wicklabilly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Karst wrote:
knobby1 wrote:
Karst wrote:[size=150]Fantastic thank you Ned!

Lord Knobrot

Knobby, Have you ever had to clean out or do any servicing to the EGR Valve Cooler, Part no. 1683527?
[/size]

i believe you can actually blank the EGR cooler too, I may go down that route as i'll tackle the filthy inlet manifold soon and most likely have the EGR valve blanked and mapped out on my 2011 2.4 rwd.
2002 Yella Transit Crew cab Tipper. T350 120 bhp Fairly clean and literally no chassis rust. 2011 MK7 crew cab Transit tipper. T350 115PS Euro 4
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Peter Milston » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 am

Hi Catclean is good, used petrol version on my son's car. Before failed MOT, after passed MOT no problem.
Peter Milston
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karst » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 am

By the way, I'm not sure if I recorded it here. But after a year spent taking it to 3 mechanics, I took it to a 4th, and he IMMEDIATELY identified why it was making black smoke!!!! He took it for a short drive and told me it had no turboboost. He checked the wastegate for the turbocharger and said something like someone had put it back the wrong way round so it was permanently directing the air away from combustion. So it meant when the turbo kicked in, there was no extra air coming in to feed the extra fuel. Hence the black smoke! :twisted: I could have screamed! If I'd have sat down and analysed it for 10 minutes I could have theorised that myself! I cannot believe that 2 of the previous mechanics were reputable busy long-term mechanics. And later I spoke to my step-brother who is a mechanic and he told me this kind of wastegate/black smoke problem was quite common.

So, he adjusted the wastegate, and IMMEDIATELY the black smoke stopped.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits