*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 85ps suspected injector failure?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 85ps suspected injector failure?

Postby James-B93 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 am

Good morning all, my MK6 85ps is suffering from some symptoms that I think I have narrowed down to some/a faulty injectors but I’d just like a sanity check before I start going too mad! So to begin with it sounds very happy at high revs and when it makes this tally noise it is like a switch turning on. I’ll go up through the Rev range and it’ll suddenly change to this noise. I also have an exhaust leak somewhere in the engine bay that I am yet to find and this may be contributing.

My next issue is when I switch the engine off, I get quite a strong shudder right as the engine comes to a stop. So much so that I have heard it rock the van enough to make the handbrake squeak at the rear wheels. Is this likely to be because there is an imbalance of fuel going between the injectors or is it likely to be an engine mount issue? I do believe one of my mounts is slightly duff because when I throttle off there is a thump and on occasion there is a thump when engaging the clutch. However when I grab the engine and try rocking it there is no movement at all.

Does anyone think they could help shed some light on this for me as I don’t want to fit a new mount to have it wrecked by the strong shudder on shutdown etc. Any help will be massively appreciated!
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK6 85ps suspected injector failure?

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Best to get the codes read before doing anything drastic....guessing can become quite expensive. Fuel pump wiring can be fragile where it goes near the starter on the FWD's.

Your exhaust leak may be a cracked/broken EGR pipe...worth checking at least.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby James-B93 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:23 pm

knobby1 wrote:Best to get the codes read before doing anything drastic....guessing can become quite expensive. Fuel pump wiring can be fragile where it goes near the starter on the FWD's.

Your exhaust leak may be a cracked/broken EGR pipe...worth checking at least.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for your reply! I’ve spoken to my mate that works as a mechanic and hopefully will be able to get it scanned this weekend. I will also check the wiring this evening to see if there is anything obvious.

In terms of the EGR pipe - is this a common issue? If so where abouts in the pipework should I be looking for a crack? Is it at the rear of the engine?

Thanks again for your reply
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 am

James-B93 wrote:In terms of the EGR pipe - is this a common issue? If so where abouts in the pipework should I be looking for a crack? Is it at the rear of the engine? Thanks again for your reply

Resonably common, see here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby James-B93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

knobby1 wrote:
James-B93 wrote:In terms of the EGR pipe - is this a common issue? If so where abouts in the pipework should I be looking for a crack? Is it at the rear of the engine? Thanks again for your reply

Lord Knobrot

That’s perfect thanks a lot. I’ll check that pipe before looking elsewhere. Also think I have an oil leak from my injector seals so they may need to come out anyway. Hopefully if there is one (or more) playing up I might be able to see some signs of this. Thanks again.

I’ll update once I’ve had it scanned and if any codes come up.
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby James-B93 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am

knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I had a look at my engine last night and the EGR is in a completely different position to the imagine? When you look at the engine the EGR is at the front left corner of the engine underneath the inlet manifold? The EGR pipework then runs all the way under the inlet manifold round the right hand side (gearbox side) of the engine and is wrapped in steel woven insulation?

Does this sound right for the 2.0 85 PS engine? I also noticed the big DI badge on the engine and the current fuel filter has a big tick next to a TDCI badge and a big cross next to the DI badge...looks like I have the incorrect fuel filter fitted too...
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby James-B93 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 pm

And as another update, scanned the van for fault codes this evening and nothing came up at all! At a bit of a loss
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby martynx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 pm

The TDCI filters are more restrictive, you dont normally get extreme symptoms from fitting one though. Unless its done more than say 20k & is blocked a bit.

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby James-B93 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:50 pm

martynx wrote:The TDCI filters are more restrictive, you dont normally get extreme symptoms from fitting one though. Unless its done more than say 20k & is blocked a bit.

Thanks for your reply, I will get the new DI one fitted and see if it makes any difference at all. Currently having a mare with the gearbox linkage and it’s not playing ball in the slightest! :x
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 pm

EGR pipe sounds to be the same as was fitted to my 85ps Mk6.

Mine cracked, and eventually broke, about 6" from the turbo connection at the back of the engine. There are two small bolts holding it on which can break off when removing if you're not careful. I simply loosened the pipe at both ends, slipped blanks under the flanges, and re-tightened.

The pipe is quite expensive to replace :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby James-B93 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 am

Altransit wrote:EGR pipe sounds to be the same as was fitted to my 85ps Mk6.

Mine cracked, and eventually broke, about 6" from the turbo connection at the back of the engine. There are two small bolts holding it on which can break off when removing if you're not careful. I simply loosened the pipe at both ends, slipped blanks under the flanges, and re-tightened.

The pipe is quite expensive to replace :(

Now that it’s been mentioned I think that it’s almost certain that mine has gone, I will be buying the blanks ASAP because it is filling the interior with exhaust gas if I put the fans on external rather than recirc! Thanks again for the info :)
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 am

Leaking injector seals will do that as well.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby James-B93 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 am

Jim Archer wrote:Leaking injector seals will do that as well.

Jim

What symptom are they likely to cause? I have an oil leak that I haven’t been able to locate and have found a thread on here from years ago with a similar leak path that turned out to be injector seals?
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits