*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Speedo issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Speedo issue

Postby sleah » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Since having my van I've noticed the speedo is reading low.
So if it says 30mph, my gps speedo shows more like 33/34mph, which is worrying as it should be the other way round! Roadside speed signs agree with my gps speedo so the van is definately wrong.. :(

I was told when I bought the van that the clocks had been changed (the mileage reading is wrong - but noted on the MOT :) ) however they seem to be correct for the van (2005)
They are the type with the little LCD displays showing time & mileage.

The only thought I've had, is that my van has 16" steel wheels, what if the speedo came from a van with 15" wheels. Would that make that much difference?

Thoughts?? :?

Should I find 'yet another' :lol: second hand speedo?
sleah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Speedo issue

Postby Mad Husky » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

or someone has had the clocks out to repair the solder joint on the back and put the needles in the wrong place.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Mad Husky wrote:or someone has had the clocks out to repair the solder joint on the back and put the needles in the wrong place.

+1...or changed the diff ratio without telling the PCM..!!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mashee » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 am

Yes, changing from 15" to 16" will make a huge difference. The math is high-school-level and easy to confirm.

Circumference = pie * diameter (or 2pie*radius)
15" circumference = 47.12"
16" circumference = 50.26"

16" is 7% MORE or FASTER.

Keep in mind this is the RIM ONLY, not the actual circumference of the MUCH bigger tyre which is fitted on said rim, and this makes the ~10% difference you're seeing in your speed vs GPS.

Don't waste your time imagining something so much more complicated like a different diff ratio given the probability of a wheel swap vs diff swap. :shock: Doesn't mean it's not an option though...just far less likely...
Mashee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sleah » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Mashee wrote:Yes, changing from 15" to 16" will make a huge difference. The math is high-school-level and easy to confirm.

Circumference = pie * diameter (or 2pie*radius)
15" circumference = 47.12"
16" circumference = 50.26"

16" is 7% MORE or FASTER.

Keep in mind this is the RIM ONLY, not the actual circumference of the MUCH bigger tyre which is fitted on said rim, and this makes the ~10% difference you're seeing in your speed vs GPS.

Don't waste your time imagining something so much more complicated like a different diff ratio given the probability of a wheel swap vs diff swap. :shock: Doesn't mean it's not an option though...just far less likely...

Thanks Mashee. Rim size was my first thought. I've no reason to think anything else has been changed apart from the clocks which the seller told me about.
Apart from swapping to 15" rims :lol: what's the fix? :?
sleah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:37 am

sleah wrote:Apart from swapping to 15" rims :lol: what's the fix? :?

Tell the PCM you've got bigger wheels/tyres...there's options in IDS & Forscan....although I'm not too sure with Mk6's.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sleah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:
sleah wrote:Apart from swapping to 15" rims :lol: what's the fix? :?

Tell the PCM you've got bigger wheels/tyres...there's options in IDS & Forscan....although I'm not too sure with Mk6's.

Lord Knobrot

I've got the full-fat version of Forscan and sadly there is nowhere to enter anything to do with tyre size that I can see :(

Any other ideas? Could a main dealer sort the problem?
sleah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin--turbo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:02 pm

I would ignore the wheel size, and find the original tyre size and check the rolling radius against the fitted tyre.
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sleah » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:47 pm

twin--turbo wrote:I would ignore the wheel size, and find the original tyre size and check the rolling radius against the fitted tyre.

The tyre/rim size fitted is exactly the same as printed on the drivers' side door column plate.

So is it not possible to correct the issue short of putting smaller wheels on or finding a secondhand speedo from an identical van? :? :?
sleah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits