*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 transit tipper not charging

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 transit tipper not charging

Postby Mikebh8 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 am

Hello, I just registered on the forum hoping I would find an answer that I am looking for few days now.
I bought a non runner mk7 tipper, 2006, 2.4. The issue was the exhaust cam shaft, rocker carrier and one rocker smashed.
After replacing everything, it started but the problem I have is that it does not charge.
If I put 12v to the green wire that comes out from the alternator plug ( 12v taken from the + point next to the fuse box used for jump start), the alternator starts generating 14.45v but it does not reach the battery bank ( said bank because it has two batteries fitted under the driver's seat). When not charging ( or when not generating the 14.45v) the light on the dash does not come on, it does however come on when ignition is turned to on position.
To add to it, the alternator only has two pin plug at the back and the big red cable ( I couldn't find any info about it, everything on the web relates to three pins plug), one of them ( the one that I used to excite the alternator) has 8.6/7v, the other one has around 3.6v the same as the alternator has when not generating.
The one that has 8.6/7v, when jumped with the 12v from the battery, it changes into 14.45v.
Can anyone help me understanding why the ecu does not turn on the alternator, and once is on why it does not go to the batteries?
Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram for this particular model of transit I would appreciate if somehow he/she will send it to me, I can't find anything online related to this model, as I said everything is related to the 3 pin plug.
Thank you.
Mikebh8

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits