*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replacing steering rack seals

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Replacing steering rack seals

Postby Patvan247 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi I bought a power steering seal kit from transit centre. My rack is leaking from the feed and return pipe o rings and from where the column meets the rack. I have located these seals but don’t know what or where the rest of the seals in the kit are for. Anyone know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Replacing steering rack seals

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Patvan247 wrote:Hi I bought a power steering seal kit from transit centre. My rack is leaking from the feed and return pipe o rings and from where the column meets the rack. I have located these seals but don’t know what or where the rest of the seals in the kit are for. Anyone know?

They're internal seal and back-up rings etc...you have to pull the rack apart to do the job properly.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Replacing steering rack seals

Postby Patvan247 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Ok, cheers. Is it worth pulling it apart if the seals are ok? Also is the seal at the top of the pinion an actual seal or a dust cover, as I’m thinking it maybe the actual seals on the pinion that are letting fluid past.
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits