*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Clutch?

Postby timewarptel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi guys....I have a mk 6 2.4 diesel rwd. Need some advise please. Gears are getting difficult, particularly 1st and reverse. Goes in ok, when engine off. Holding clutch down with engine running, there is a slight bit of creep, mainly in reverse. But I don’t think clutch slips when driving. Checked gearbox and it definitely needs topping up, which I,ve yet to do. Don’t seem like any fluid leaks, master reservoir has enough fluid. Will I need new clutch , ...is there any checks I can do to confirm this. When warmed up on a run, does get a tad easier to select gear, maybe putting it in 2nd before putting it in first, that sort of thing. Thanks, terry
timewarptel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Clutch?

Postby loot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 pm

You should have an external slave cylinder but you could bleed some fresh fluid to it, you can replace the slave easily anyway. How soft is the clutch pedal to push? Tired fingers will cause drag or poor fluid although the plastic slave has a pin and I don't think it'll overheat too much like brakes would so you'll be more likely looking at fluid passing back in the master or somewhere.

If you pump the pedal quickly a few times and in gear then pedal to the floor it will either not creep or slowly start to creep which will suggest a fluid or seal problem.

If it creeps always then I'll say tired pressure plate.
Check the bite hard in top gear for slip.
Top the gearbox up and make sure that it isn't the synchro.

I'm not sure about selector etc as I didn't mess internally on rwd box but if it helps you can grease the gear lever knuckle in the floor.
Also the clutch pedal lift it up and down by hand just at the top to see how much play there is, my mk7 was worn oval and that meant less actual clutch travel, might be a different pedal arrangement though.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Re: Clutch?

Postby timewarptel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks very much for the info loot
timewarptel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits