*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Poorley sick 2001 2.4 breqk down woes

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Poorley sick 2001 2.4 breqk down woes

Postby 4thgenphil » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 am

Well I'm sat in a bus stop waiting for recovery on my 2001 2.4 diesel which has conveniently decided to die 100 miles away from home.

Symptoms are;
Cough and a splutter with a loss of power. I didnt see any smoke, doesn't mean there wasnt any.
Pulled over and she idles fine, a little extra smoke but nothing to write home about but when i press the throttle holy mother of god it smokes like a trooper, smells like diesel.
Turn it off, wait a min and fire it up and she'll rev to the limiter/govenor for a few secs, then coughs, smokes and wont rev..
Ruled out the air filter, the egr vlv has had the vac line blocked. No leaks or splits as far as i can see.
Oil and water levels fine.
AA guy pulled 2 code off, i didnt have time to see them properly, both fuel pump related.

I have an idea as to the cause, i just want to bounce it of other people befpre heading down a warren

Regards

Phil
4thgenphil

Re: Poorley sick 2001 2.4 breqk down woes

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:03 am

4thgenphil wrote:Well I'm sat in a bus stop waiting for recovery on my 2001 2.4 diesel which has conveniently decided to die 100 miles away from home.

Symptoms are;
Cough and a splutter with a loss of power. I didnt see any smoke, doesn't mean there wasnt any.
Pulled over and she idles fine, a little extra smoke but nothing to write home about but when i press the throttle holy mother of god it smokes like a trooper, smells like diesel.
Turn it off, wait a min and fire it up and she'll rev to the limiter/govenor for a few secs, then coughs, smokes and wont rev..
Ruled out the air filter, the egr vlv has had the vac line blocked. No leaks or splits as far as i can see.
Oil and water levels fine.
AA guy pulled 2 code off, i didnt have time to see them properly, both fuel pump related.

I have an idea as to the cause, i just want to bounce it of other people befpre heading down a warren

Regards

Phil

Unless you tell us exactly what the codes were, we're none the wiser either..!! Is it the horrible 135ps TDCi..?? If so it could be lots of things..??
If it's a TDDi I'm guessing the pump timing solenoid has shite itself.....or the wiring loom to it is duff.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mad Husky » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 am

Going to guess here something with the fuel pump.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Poorley sick 2001 2.4 break down woes :UPDATES:

Postby 4thgenphil » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:30 pm

well i've got an update. went out to the van after charging the battery, she started fine, i did a lap of the village and it was running as it was before the break down.

fast forward 30 mins, went back out side to take it for a longer drive and it started playing up again as per the break down.

pulled the code

p1664 FIP Malfunction

p1564 FIP requesting reduced fuelling mode

b2141 no PCM identification

b2250 Dome light short circuit

gave it an hours, guess what, it ran fine again! immediately restarted and its running like a bag of dicks again.

I know its pointing towards a knackered fuel pump but if i leave it a while it will run fine again until i restart it, if the fuel pump was infact gubbed i would have thought it would be a hard fault

any ideas?

regards

phil
4thgenphil

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 am

The first two codes are pump and timing solenoid had the same a while back all i did to mine was change the filter but suspect pump is on it's merry way. The dome lamp i guess your van is panelled look in the door post guess you may have a pinched wire pcm no idea on that one other than check the earth at the back of the battery.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 4thgenphil » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Well i think ive found the issue.

As its an early 2.4 its got the pump on the top of the filter housing, I've changed this to an even earlier housing with out the pump and after a long time bleeding the fuel system she runs!

I don't think ever heard the pump run, tried jumping the relay still nothing, then put a 12v feed straight to the pump, still nothing!

Does that pump do anything other than help prime the high pressure pump?

After a few test runs today all seems good, will keep you updated.
4thgenphil

Postby Frag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 pm

So it's a 120/125 ps then...
The fuel pump itself is different on the ones without the electric pump on the filter.
(They have a pump built in to lift fuel from the tank)

Also,if you have that electric lift pump,there is an inertia switch cut off,
Above nsf strut top / inner arch area
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby 4thgenphil » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Checked the inertia switch, then set it off and reset it, still no luck.
4thgenphil

Postby Frag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:52 pm

So if the leccy pump on filter has packed up,I think you'll have problems fitting any other type of filter head.
If available still,very expensive from dealer.
I'd be sourcing a 2nd hand one.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby 4thgenphil » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Frag wrote:So if the leccy pump on filter has packed up,I think you'll have problems fitting any other type of filter head.
If available still,very expensive from dealer.
I'd be sourcing a 2nd hand one.

Oh, so expensive, only be able to find a housing with pump for £250. I was thinking of putting an inline pump between the filter housing and high pressure pump.
4thgenphil

Postby inasinman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 am

Hi.

How is your van going? Still works ok with the non pump filter
Housing. Im coming with the same errors and similar problem. She does cut off however she'll start again.I've got a later model filter housing, in the process of bleeding it. Hopefully she'll works like your van.

Cheers.
MK6 125/350 LWB 2.4 RWD
inasinman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits