*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Easy start

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Easy start

Postby timewarptel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi everyone, happy Easter. Right here goes. So, ....pretty certain my fuel pump has gone on my mk 6 350 tddi van.it was a used one on there for 4 years. Anyway my glow plugs are not much good, so I always roll it out of my flats on an incline and bump start it. Don’t all jump on me....yes I know your not meant to bumpstart them, ...but I always turn it over on the key many times at first. And I’ve bumpstarted it dozens of times. Anyway, it wouldn’t fire up this one time, even towed by another car. By the way it often starts on its own without a bumpstart. Anyway, I got my mate to squirt easy start into air intake as I turned key. It briefly ran then stopped, so I took this as a good sign the fuel pump had gone. The relay and fuse are fine. Anyway as the van is on its last legs, ....clutch drag...oil leak, welding etc, I threw caution to the wind and told my mate to squirt a lot more of the easy start. It made quite a racket and didn’t fire up. Anyway since then, my starter motor just makes that light whirring noise now, and won’t crank the engine....is it related to the easy start or just coincidence? But worse of all, I can now put van in gear and easily push it, with no resistance at all...so I certainly can’t bumpstart no more. Could using a lot of easy start have caused a Conrod to snap, because as I say, I could put it in any gear now and be able to push it, without holding the clutch down!! Woe is me ! Terry
timewarptel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Easy start

Postby dumper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm

When you push it is it turning the crankshaft if it is you may have jumped the timing remove rocker cover and have look at camshaft Carrier and chain gear
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby timewarptel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi dumper....thanks for your reply. I’m not really in a position to be pushing it right now. I’m on my own, and it’s parked on a slight incline. Thanks, terry
timewarptel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Pull the cam cover off and have a look inside
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BHM » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:50 am

timewarptel wrote:Hi everyone, happy Easter. Right here goes. So, ... Anyway as the van is on its last legs, ....clutch drag...oil leak, welding etc, I threw caution to the wind and told my mate to squirt a lot more of the easy start. It made quite a racket and didn’t fire up. Anyway since then, my starter motor just makes that light whirring noise now, and won’t crank the engine....is it related to the easy start or just coincidence? But worse of all, I can now put van in gear and easily push it, with no resistance at all...so I certainly can’t bumpstart no more. Could using a lot of easy start have caused a Conrod to snap, because as I say, I could put it in any gear now and be able to push it, without holding the clutch down!! Woe is me ! Terry

From the parts in bold I guess at the flywheel being disintergrated. :?

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 am

If you can put it in gear and still push it, you may have torn the center out of the clutch, broken the input shaft or the gearbox is shot.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby timewarptel » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks, for that knobby, and the others that answered me. Think I will be scrapping van and starting again! Terry
timewarptel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits