*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pilote learning

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Pilote learning

Postby mk6_2.2tdci_chassis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi guys!
I have RV on Ford transit mk6 2.2TDCi 2006- chassis. I would like to do the pilot learning after I got the first software upgrade, to prevent burning of the pistons. The stuck EGR (not with carbon deposits, only electricaly worn out) does not allow it. So I bought OEN matching one and built-in myself the new EGR on eBay 50EUR, which I find to be electronic (contains Hall's sensor and magnet), while the first and original (now stuck) EGR from Ford was electric (contains a potentiometer with sliding brushes). When I started the engine, no light on the dashboard appeared nor now nor earlier. I can drive normally. Is it possible to make only an EGR test before the start of the pilot learning of the engine? Is it true that if the pilot learning of the engine fails, there is no way back and the car remains a not drivable? Is it possible that garage would artificially set me up a failed pilot learning to require greater repairs? Thanks.
mk6_2.2tdci_chassis

Re: Pilote learning

Postby loot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm

2.2 tdci is euro 4 mk7.

I have passed the pilot learns before with an egr blank fitted. I suppose it is of the code is there for a wiring /electrical fault on the egr.

Faulty injectors can bring up a failure to do a pilot learn and this sets live data as pilot learn failed and keeps an engine malfunction fault :( but this would have only happened if the pilot learn was attempted ie. Before it wasn't a problem although it was because something was faulty so possibly stalling engine or noisy and maybe over fuelling.

If you had only an egr fault then you would have replaced it then cleared any fault codes and then no warning lamps, however since clearly something is at fault because of the pilot learn error then it has been found early now so less chance of burning a piston etc, however a big can of worms has been opened.

So, you need to check the prv and scv and replace them with genuine, then injectors need a leak off test and replace them as necessary. Fuel filter needs replacing with the correct oe replacement 2 microns if it hasn't been done for a while.
I assume they did a pcm update?

You can do a pcm update and if 1 is available then do it and this will clear the engine malfunction error but does tell you to do the learns again and if you don't then you are at the original position of not knowing if it is over fueling.

I'd say bloody euro 4 but at least you can do all this to fix it. :|
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby mk6_2.2tdci_chassis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Thank you Loot for clarification. My engine has 96kW and these two questions most troubling me right now. 1. Is it possible to make an EGR test only (just to see if the computer will accept it as flawless) and before the start of the pilot learning of the engine? 2.Is it true that if the pilot learning of the engine fails, there is no way back (to restore initial state when car was drivable) and the car remains a not drivable? Thanks.
mk6_2.2tdci_chassis

Postby loot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 pm

The egr will either work or not work so any fault codes should indicate what is wrong, typically 3 faults can occur.

1 is that the egr can't show its position
2.the egr isn't opening and results in a maf fault showing higher than expected.
3.electrical problem due to short to ground or something.

Terms like, orifice restricted or range /performance etc will show.

Once you fix the problem and clear codes then it should be done.

Also once you attempt a pilot learn or pump learn and it fails then the way back is similar to the way forward but you will still have an underlying problem.

Generally we fix the fault that is causing the problem /codes.

So as above you need a good mechanic to work through it.

Also running the engine with no apparent faults is the same as running it with failed learns really imo.

If the engine is running so bad that you deem it to be unable to run on the road then there is a major problem, I've only seen this when the egr is wide open stuck or broken and is passing full exhaust all of the time, which in that case either replace it or for now blank it.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby mk6_2.2tdci_chassis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 pm

As you suggested, I intend to call a mechanic to review the egr valve in the coming days and to do pilot learning. If anything goes wrong I'll let you know. Thanks.
mk6_2.2tdci_chassis

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Where is the gearstick in the floor or on the dash :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mk6_2.2tdci_chassis » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

On the dash.
mk6_2.2tdci_chassis

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits