*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water in fuel. Help.....

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Water in fuel. Help.....

Postby Ktmdad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Hey.
I put contaminated diesel into my mk6 and it cut out after 200m..filter was full of water...

I have drained the fuel tank via syphon... Topped up with 20ltr of diesel and then a fresh filter.

Drove great for 2 miles then was struggling for power and jumping. Managed to limp home and got towed the last 100m when it cut out and wouldn't start again,

Last thing I done was take the filler hose off and jack the side of the van up and let the rest of the fuel run out into a container. Emptied the filter of the creamy coloured diesel.. Refilled and then put 10litres of fuel in... Started it and let it idle for 5 mins then took the filler hose off again.. Jacked up.. Drained and emptied filter.

Is there any way of draining out the very bottom of the tank... So I can replace with 100% fresh fuel...right now I'm trying to dilute what's left in the bottom because the filler hose is about 30mm above the bottom of the tank.

Any help appreciated. Very amature mechanic here just trying my best.

Thanks in advance.
Ktmdad
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Water in fuel. Help.....

Postby jonb1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 pm

only real way is to drop tank off pull sender unit out of top & use a vacuum brake bleeder or similar to suck out crap or old wet dry hoover if all fuel is out!!! or piece clean rag & wipe tank you can just get hand inside, you can get torch in & check for crude etc, if tank is all but empty its a lot easier to get off, if you have a trolley jack put a piece of ply or similar on jack to carry length of tank drop 2 staps fill pipe disconnect, disconnect vent pipe on top of tank & wiring to sender, not a bad job, getting fuel out takes the time but when empty tank is light enough jack just gives you full control same with refitting. hope that helps :D
jonb1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ktmdad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks for the help there mate.

Will all become apparent once I get the fuel tank off? First time doing this.

Is the also a way to clear the line from the fuel filter to the tank?... If so which his to the filter do I take off.

Thanks,
Ktmdad
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jonb1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 pm

if you have an airline blow it back from filter to tank, i would put fresh filter on after you get it all clean to, if you fill the filter with fresh fuel it should help to get it restarted might have to refill it couple of times, when it starts if you catch it on throttle & bring revs straight upto 1500/2000 rpm for minute or so this should help to drag fuel through & stop it empting filter & cutting out
jonb1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ktmdad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks very much.

Appreciate it
Ktmdad
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits