*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Is my transit dead.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Is my transit dead.

Postby Ryan121 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi please help. I have been reading through all posts but can’t seem to find where to post.

I have a 2008 (58) 2.2 fwd ford transit with about 240k on clock. Owned the van for about 3 years and serviced yearly. Unsure what previous service was. Recently had a change of oil, fuel and air filter. I had the van for around 1 year with a egr fault on. Egr valve bolts had been snapped and no one would work on it. Driving on motorway a few weeks ago doing a 69 mile journey. Van seemed like it had less power but got there ok, engine temps all ok. On the way home the van just died on motorway, luckily I managed to get up and onto a grass verge as no hard shoulder. Opened bonnet and turbo was smoking and smoke coming up it to air box. Left for half hour and tried to start with no joy. Towed the van home and left over night, tried to start next morning and it’s started but running rough. I found someone who would do the work, removed turbo and replaced the cartridge. While we where there we ended up getting egr, pipes and manifold off replaced egr and cleaned all the pipes. Remove radiator and cleaned all pipes, cleaned boost pipes (quite oily) got everything fixed back up and it was going well. Driving it for a few months now local and maybe 20mile trips at the most but mainly 5-6 mile. Drove good the only thing I noticed was temp was good good but engine felt hotter than normal and it’s smelt a bit like radiator water but everything was good, no loss of water and still a strong clean coolant mix. I noticed injector was leaking and seemed like oil/fuel and water sat in the housing around injector, it would bubble when engine runs. Oik warning light flashing intermittent (mainly when off the gas breaking) only briefly. I noticed it after the new egr and turbo was fitted. Also when removing dip stick and oil filler cap with engine running smoke would puff out but it seemed to stop doing it after a few weeks. Van in use daily no real problem until I do the same 69 mile trip on the same road the van suddenly starts loosing speed fast (unlike before it was more of a instant cut out) this time the van was driving but loosing speed and power fast (I was doing around 70mph) it got to about 50 I noticed smoke from the rear and seen hard shoulder was coming to an end so I made sensible choice of pulling in, soon as I slowed to about 10mph van cut out and egnition lights came on. Opened bonnet, engine very hot but plenty of water, all pipes seemed hot so circulation seemed ok. Turbo wasn’t smoking this time. It wouldn’t start and still won’t. Friend thinks piston rings or seals. It tries to turn over but now battery flat. Iv had injector seals done in the past and fuel rail and a few other bits. Something seems to be blowing injector seals very end on right side was worse one and end left. I have removed the injectors got all copper washers and removed rocker cover to replace these gaskets. I don’t know much about engines really, read everytning in these posts, I know the basics. Under the rocker cover all I think as valve arms? Well they all seem nice and tight but 1 in intake side is very loose and wobbely (i recognis the sound of the tapping, another are slightly loose and one on outlet side is very loose. I don’t know if I should just putnrocker cover seals cover back on, new injector seals and copper washers and put it all back together and see what happens or if I should attempt to remove the camshaft and check head gasket and pistons but to do this I need to lock of the engine for the timing? Can any one help or advise me? Could this break down be the end of the van? Possible leaky injector damaged pistons or the rings and the loose arms not opening the outlet correctly? Sounds like it wasn’t to go. Thanks everyone
2.2 Fwd 2008 (58) Ford Transit 240k current :mrgreen:
Smiley pick up truck s reg (gone)
57 Mk7 Transit turendo 110 (gone)
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: is my transit dead.

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:54 am

Best to start a new thread with your issue......Maybe one of our kind admin's could shift it for you..

I wonder if she's done a dreaded piston....fairly common on some 2.2's. The loose rockers make me think the "possibly broken" piston has hit the valves causing them to bend and stick open....maybe.....just thinking out loud.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ryan121 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks for reply and advice Knobby. I have a feeling it’s piston related to. Engines not seized so maybe I’m lucky
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 pm

knobby1 wrote:Maybe one of our kind admin's could shift it for you..

Well, I'm a kind of admin ............... :mrgreen:

Shifted 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Re: Is my transit dead.

Postby Ryan121 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Thank you
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:05 am

Altransit wrote:
knobby1 wrote:Maybe one of our kind admin's could shift it for you..

Well, I'm a kind of admin ............... :mrgreen:

Shifted 8)

Thank you kind of..! :mrgreen: :lol:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits