*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Done a bit of welding now blue fob won't work

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Done a bit of welding now blue fob won't work

Postby mikec » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Ok I have just bought a mk7 Tourneo and the bracing on the rear door had some stress cracks, So I undid the battery for safety and welded them up. Now I have three blue remote key fobs and none of them will lock or open the van, all three worked before. the van will lock by key in the door and it does start OK can someone help please. :evil:
mikec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Done a bit of welding now blue fob won't work

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:56 am

Do all the locks operate from using the key in the door lock?

How many batteries does the van have, one or two? If it has two batteries, have the front one properly drop tested.

Check Fuse 78 in the BCM. To find the BCM, open the glovebox and release the door fully by pressing the tabs in that restrict its opening. Behind there you'll see a relay/fusebox: unclip this to hinge it down, the BCM is behind it.

Check the remote central locking receiver is receiving a signal from the key. It's mounted in the cab headlining behind the front courtesy light and it has an LED that should light as you press the key buttons.

Check the back door wiring loom hasn't been damaged by welding.

As it's a Tourneo, it might have the high-spec instrument cluster. Does the cluster have two black buttons fo resetting the trip counter and the clock? If so, it's the low spec and won't tell you anything; otherwise it may display one or more faults, eg. driver's door ajar, service oil now, etc.

Beyond that, get a 'modified' ELM327 USB cable with high speed/medium speed (HS/MS) CAN switch and download a copy of Forscan to interrogate the fault codes (DTCs) via the diagnostic port, which is behind the cover under the steering column.

There's a few pointers to start you off with.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mikec » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:14 am

Cider Andy wrote:Do all the locks operate from using the key in the door lock?

How many batteries does the van have, one or two? If it has two batteries, have the front one properly drop tested.

Check Fuse 78 in the BCM. To find the BCM, open the glovebox and release the door fully by pressing the tabs in that restrict its opening. Behind there you'll see a relay/fusebox: unclip this to hinge it down, the BCM is behind it.

Check the remote central locking receiver is receiving a signal from the key. It's mounted in the cab headlining behind the front courtesy light and it has an LED that should light as you press the key buttons.

Check the back door wiring loom hasn't been damaged by welding.

As it's a Tourneo, it might have the high-spec instrument cluster. Does the cluster have two black buttons fo resetting the trip counter and the clock? If so, it's the low spec and won't tell you anything; otherwise it may display one or more faults, eg. driver's door ajar, service oil now, etc.

Beyond that, get a 'modified' ELM327 USB cable with high speed/medium speed (HS/MS) CAN switch and download a copy of Forscan to interrogate the fault codes (DTCs) via the diagnostic port, which is behind the cover under the steering column.

There's a few pointers to start you off with.

Ok here goes
Yes the keys do operate the locks in the door
It only has one battery under the drivers seat
Is the remote receiver Ariel in the tailgate then?
I think it is the high spec dash as it does say door ajar and suchlike
I will go out and check the other bits now.
the fuse is OK
I have removed the courtesy light switch and used a light and mirror and cannot find the receiver at all, could it be somewhere else?
back door wiring looks ok and no loose connections
mikec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mikec » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Ok I have finally found the receiver with the aid of my bore scope. It was velcro'd to the headliner futher back by the rear heater/aircon controls. I removed it for access to check the led and once open I tried it and low and behold all three keys work now so maybe a dodgy connection?. I don't know if the receivers are prone to problems or not so I will have to see how it goes. On another note why does the alloy wheel nut key not have a code on as I want to get a spare for mine?. :shock:
mikec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Good stuff!

mikec wrote:On another note why does the alloy wheel nut key not have a code on as I want to get a spare for mine?. :shock:

Probably to stop someone whose van it isn't from obtaining a spare....
I tried to buy one for a Jaguar X-Type, for which I did have the code but the dealer wouldn't sell it for that reason.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mikec » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Cider Andy wrote:Good stuff!

mikec wrote:On another note why does the alloy wheel nut key not have a code on as I want to get a spare for mine?. :shock:

Probably to stop someone whose van it isn't from obtaining a spare....
I tried to buy one for a Jaguar X-Type, for which I did have the code but the dealer wouldn't sell it for that reason.

I have found the key code in the paperwork for it, So I will try my friendly ford guy tomorrow :)
PS can you recommend a good code reader to buy for mine, My old laptop is not up to much to load programs on
mikec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dodge20 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 pm

If you send a photo of your locking wheel nut to locking wheel nuts.co.uk they can code it from the image and supply a new key. I've used them before and they can get the key to you quicker than Ford can.
Some people are like slinkies.... not good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

2009 280 85hp
2015 290 Custom DCIV twin side doors 155hp(tragically killed)
Dodge20
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: Go to the end of the world and turn left. (South Cumbria)

Postby Cider Andy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 am

mikec wrote:.... can you recommend a good code reader to buy for mine, My old laptop is not up to much to load programs on....

Get yourself a 'modified' (ie. with switchable MS/HS CAN) ELM327 USB cable for under £20 online and download a copy of Forscan (it's free). Plenty of info on this site about both, if you do a search on them.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mikec » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Cider Andy wrote:
mikec wrote:.... can you recommend a good code reader to buy for mine, My old laptop is not up to much to load programs on....

Get yourself a 'modified' (ie. with switchable MS/HS CAN) ELM327 USB cable for under £20 online and download a copy of Forscan (it's free). Plenty of info on this site about both, if you do a search on them.

Hi is this the right one? I don't want to buy cheap a cheap one that does not work. Ps do you know if mine would have the wiring in place for reversing sensors?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forscan-ELM3 ... SwYaxZjd5A
mikec
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cider Andy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:05 pm

mikec wrote: Hi is this the right one?

Yes, that looks like it.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits