*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine replacement - Vehicle Electrician

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Engine replacement - Vehicle Electrician

Postby Beth_a_ny » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:47 pm

We replaced the engine in my mk7 2.4 tdci RWD this weekend. We bought all the "brains" from the donor van into my van with the engine. When we turn on the ignition on all the lights on the dash flash, we are guessing we need an electrician to programme my key to the new brains. Can anyone recommend a good one in Norfolk area? We will also be looking to get them to check the injectors are all working well as it was injector issues that caused my old engine to blow up!

Thanks
Beth_a_ny

Re: Engine replacement - Vehicle Electrician

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Put all the original gizmos back on it and it should start :wink: You need a mechanic to do the codes and learns not a sparky
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PCM not talking to computer IDS

Postby Beth_a_ny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello all, I am new here but I have an issue and need some help

We have had to do an engine replacemnt in my MK7 2.4 RWD. We bought another van with a recently reconditioned engine in and moved this into my van. This went well, when we moved the engine we also bought the PCM, fuse box and all the wiring thinking this would be easiest. When we turned the key we just got a red flashing PATS light and - - - - on the dash. We then called an electrician to code the keys and check everything. This kept failing, his computer could find all the individual units in the van but the PCM would not talk to the body control unit. He tried everything, we tried both PCM's. All he could suggest was that we changed the whole wiring loom and call him back.

So we did this and van then started straight away, even though we thought it wouldn't as keys were never coded. Electrician came back on saturday as my engine management light is on and i still want the injectors checked. Unfortunatlly this was still unsucssesful as his computer just kept saying PCM failed, but we know it is working as van is running!

So now i'm stuck, i dont want to use the van as i don't want to damage anything, the engine is not sounding smooth and even like it did in the old van. The electrician suggested i ask on here or the forums to see if anybody else has had a similar problem of not being able to communicate between PCM (we tried both again) and computer? I am REALLY REALLY hoping there is an easy fix for this somewhere. Electrician had both ford IDS and other software
Beth_a_ny

Re: PCM not talking to computer IDS

Postby loot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Are both vans the same age and power output?

If you were putting the engine from van B into van A then all you needed to do was swap the complete engine and recode the injectors and pcm update and pump /pilot learns. Or keep the old injectors but fit them in the same order as they were in van A. But that would depend on the damage of van A and the condition of the injectors. So scenario A would have done.

Wiring looms are many and can differ.

Swapping a bcm or pcm requires initialisation to pair it with its counterpart bcm or pcm and also keys coding but usually the initialisation is including the key.

Coding keys only and also fitting the new pcm but no initialisation won't allow the engine to run.

There is a preferred sequence and fitting a new loom and pcm etc had confused the situation.

You can do it but usually bcm, pcm, keys need completely changing over to basically fool van A into being Van B
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Beth_a_ny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi Loot,

Thanks for your reply, no the vans were different ages, van A (my original) is 2010 van B (the engine donor) was 57. I don't know about power output.

Van A, now has its own original, pcm, bcm, fusebox and wiring loom. Its starting and running and everything is working, just we can't successfully connect to the pcm to the computer to code the injectors, he tried both pcms, neither would work. I don't want to use it until injectors are coded so I am a bit stuck.
Beth_a_ny

Postby Beth_a_ny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi bambi, Sorry I didn't see this reply!

With the situation I am in now, what will a mechanic be able to do that an electrician cant?

Thanks Beth
Beth_a_ny

Postby Airthies » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Because a decent mechanic can do everything a sparky can do and the rest of the stuff if required.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Yes keep it together please.
Sorry Al I didn't see your managed it :oops:
And Bambi for being on the ball.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Beth_a_ny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:08 pm

That confused me when one post disappeared, sorry for not doing things right though :-)

So how do I find a good mechanic that will know about transits and about the electrics ect..

I have a ford main dealer very close to me, I am reluctant to take it there just for them to tell me the same as I have already been told and charge me three times as much, I am however very happy to pay someone who knows their stuff and can fix it. I just want my van back on the road, It blew up in Hungary in the middle of August, its been a struggle to get it home and get a new engine in it and now we have got stuck on the very very last hurdle :-(
Beth_a_ny

Postby ned » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:20 pm

I think Paul2012 is Norfolk way.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58713

RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits