*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 2.4 top end tapping after being stood a year :/

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 2.4 top end tapping after being stood a year :/

Postby supadik » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi guys.

My spare minibus, a Mk6 2.4 rwd TDDi 52 plate, ran out of tax at the end of September so I had to move the old tub off the road and put it on the drive. After charging the batteries it struck up after a bit of cranking but it sounds like it has a stuck cam follower..."sounds like" lol. Today I fired it back up and let it idle for 30 mins to warm the engine through and it ran fine during that time. In fact I did a rear wheel bearing on an alfa while the bus was ticking over and the bus exhaust was just a few feet away and I didn't notice any smoking or stink. However, the plot thickens, after about 30 mins I jumped in the bus and picked the revs up to see if the increase in oil pressure and engine speed would "unstick" the follower. That may have been a mistake as it then started smoking (both soot and blue) and it now sounds weak on one cylinder...not a complete misfire but defo lumpy and uneven. If it had been a petrol engine that hadn't been started for 11 months I'd be certain it was a sticky follower but I've not heard of the Duratorq having this problem nor can I find anything on the internet or here that suggests a sticky follower is likely to be the issue.

I don't mind whipping the cam cover off to have a look to see what the issue is but it's an old bus the has done over 200k, it's out of MOT and has rotten front wings so I don't really want to get too involved ...I.E. if it's a little end that sh@gged or something similarly involved and expensive to repair I'll just scrap it. On the other hand, if it's likely to be a fairly straight forward repair then I'll do it as it's actually a nice old bus despite the miles and front wings lol.

I should also mention that before it was parked up last November it ran sweet with no noises or rattles from the engine.

As always your thoughts and opinions are most welcome :)
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk6 2.4 top end tapping after being stood a year :/

Postby supadik » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Sitting in the pub having a pint (as one does) a thought pops into my otherwise empty head...the old bus hasn't been started since last November so the oil will have totally drained down...what's the chances that the chain has jumped?
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby inasinman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:51 am

Hi

Maybe. You could check the timing with a 12 mm and 6mm bolt. Off crank angle sensor and the pump inspection cover. Also you should change your fuel filter. Since it has been sitting for so long.

Cheers,
MK6 125/350 LWB 2.4 RWD
inasinman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby supadik » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 am

Hi.

That's a good idea...wish I'd thought of it lol. So crank angle sensor out and the inspection cover for the pump...what about the cam timing is there a way to check that with the timing cover still in place or do the chains just jump on the crank pulley? I'll also try cracking the injectors one at a time to see if that stops the tapping/knocking sound as I suppose it could be a sticky injector??? I know years ago I had a smiley transit Di that had 3 late type injectors and 1 early type and I could of sworn that the piston was hitting the head from the noise it was making. I swapped the early type injector for the later type and the noise was gone.
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby supadik » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm

OK I tried cracking open each injector feed pipe and that made no difference. So I took the rocker cover off and noticed that the 2nd inlet rocker shaft bolt from the front was loose with the head of the bolt about 5mm above its seat. It tightened up OK so there's no thread damage. Could that starve the hydraulic tappets of oil at that location as there looks to be an oil feed next to each bolt hole? I have the rocker shafts on the bench and all the tappets turn freely in their seats but only a few move up and down...is that likely to be an issue? The rollers seem fine except for 2 that seem to have a fair bit of play in them...should I fit 2 new rocker arms?
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby supadik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Well I've put it back together and its still the same. Starts up 1st turn of the key and idles fine, give a boot full, MOT style, and its V sooty and if I hold it on part throttle the revs are up and down with tons of grey smoke. I'll check the timing tomorrow just to be sure. I'm seriously considering getting a days insurance on it then taking it for a long drive to see if it clears...what's the chances of it having sticky rings since its been stood so long?
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby supadik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Sorry I've been away for a short while so haven't updated this post recently. I'm hoping to have an hour spare tomorrow so I can crawl under the bus and remove the crank angle sensor so I can check the timing. Before I do can anybody confirm if the engine light would be on if the timing was out, also would it start and tick over fine if the time was out?

Cheers

Rich
supadik
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits