*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Charging issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 Charging issue

Postby g_tizzle » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am

Hi All, I have my sisters Mk6 2004 2.4l Puma and its developed a charging or charge drainage issue. I've checked F18 fuse (fine) and R15 relay (this clicks when removed and replaced while engine running). The engine will turn over fine but if not used for over 24 hours the battery cant turn it over. Put the 7 stage smart charger on and shes fine, no faults detected by the charger, this thing is good at picking up faulty batteries.

Anyhow, I've read a few posts about chaffed wires over the top of the engine, these look fine, I can't quite see the wire getting to the alternator but I have been told by a mechanic who did battery test that its all good at that end. I have seen this red wire that has corroded that comes off the jumper lead positive point right next to the engine bay fuse box (see attachments) which has about a inch missing - I have no idea what this wire is or does...

Could this be my issue? There is voltage at the red tab end but not below?

Located Newcastle, Australia

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g_tizzle

Re: Mk6 Charging issue

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:19 am

That's the glow plug "inline fuse" which has blown....you may have a dead glow plug or three, shorted to ground.

Have you actually properly load tested the battery..?? They can test ok voltage wise until under load.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby g_tizzle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:06 am

knobby1 wrote:That's the glow plug "inline fuse" which has blown....you may have a dead glow plug or three, shorted to ground.

Have you actually properly load tested the battery..?? They can test ok voltage wise until under load.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks Lord Knobrot and please excuse my ignorance but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to auto electrics over and above installing an Aux socket...

Would this affect the battery when the vehicle is off? IE: the charge drain?

How should I fix this? Can I simply bridge that gap with wire? Must I get the glow plugs replaced?

My local Landy mechanic (I have 02 Disco) did a load test on the battery while they did the equivalent to your MOT and said the battery was still good for a while, but had no idea charging issue. I thought being a Puma motor they were a safe bet.

Thanks in advance
g_tizzle

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 am

g_tizzle wrote:Thanks Lord Knobrot and please excuse my ignorance but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to auto electrics over and above installing an Aux socket...

Would this affect the battery when the vehicle is off? IE: the charge drain?

How should I fix this? Can I simply bridge that gap with wire? Must I get the glow plugs replaced?

My local Landy mechanic (I have 02 Disco) did a load test on the battery while they did the equivalent to your MOT and said the battery was still good for a while, but had no idea charging issue. I thought being a Puma motor they were a safe bet.

Thanks in advance

The blown glow wire won't effect the charging....however, you need to find out why it has blown in the first place...as mentioned, it'll probably be a dead plug or two. The old "lower powered" TDDi engines, 75ps & 90ps can get along fine without glow plugs, the higher power ones like the 120ps tend to struggle a bit when it's cold...Not sure about the TDCi jobbies.

I'm in Aus too mate...Brivegas.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby g_tizzle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 am

[/quote]The blown glow wire won't effect the charging....however, you need to find out why it has blown in the first place...as mentioned, it'll probably be a dead plug or two. The old "lower powered" TDDi engines, 75ps & 90ps can get along fine without glow plugs, the higher power ones like the 120ps tend to struggle a bit when it's cold...Not sure about the TDCi jobbies.

I'm in Aus too mate...Brivegas.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]

BrisVegas rocks, awesome place! We've just got out of Sydney up to Newcastle, so much better!

Once this thing is running, it hums along, no issues with loss of power. I just dont want to return it to my sister with this battery issue. If i can fix it, I will but if I cant I'd rather tell her what the issue is.

Do you reckon the shorted to earthed plugs would cause the drain?
g_tizzle

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am

g_tizzle wrote:Do you reckon the shorted to earthed plugs would cause the drain?

No..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pm

This is what I would try
Make sure battery is fully charged
When you have finished using the van
Park it up disconnect the battery
Leave for 24 hours
Reconnect battery see if van starts
If it does then something is pulling the battery down overnight
If it doesn’t start got to be battery
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby g_tizzle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 am

KING OF ENGLAND wrote:This is what I would try
Leave for 24 hours

Great idea King, will do!
g_tizzle

Postby g_tizzle » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:19 pm

KING OF ENGLAND wrote:This is what I would try
Leave for 24 hours

BAttery seems fine, now the search begins.

Where to start 1st - any pointers?
g_tizzle

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits