*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

radio

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

radio

Postby flower man » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 pm

I just had a new radio fitted to my van and when I picked it up it works for the local stations, the next morning when I wanted different ones I could not get anything. took it back and there talking about an amplifier on the aerial, do they have amplified aerial cos the new aerial is not. very puzzled it is not a dab but an FM but the old one is an FM but works the new one is Bluetooth. Advice, please.
flower man

Re: radio

Postby MattD » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Slightly confused by your post, the old aerial should be compatible with the new radio, I assume they haven't put in a complete new aerial have they?
MattD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby flower man » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 pm

yes new everything only it's not dab
flower man

Postby MattD » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Not sure why they've done that to be honest. The standard Ford aerial is more than capable of being used with an aftermarket radio, I have a Sony one in mine that is connected without issue. I can only assume they've fitted a crap aerial or haven't connected it up properly.
MattD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Steve192 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm

I’m sure I’ve read in the past that the standard ford Ariel is crap. At least mine is. Struggles to pick up any radio station. I use a radio app on my phone and bluetooth it to my head unit.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MattD » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Maybe I'm just lucky as mine seems excellent. I changed the aerial (just the bit that unwinds on the roof, not the base) when I bought the van as it was all split and looked like a chimney sweep's brush. Despite that it still worked well though. :?
MattD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby flower man » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 pm

the radio reception was rubbish so I had a new aerial fitted, and a blue tooth radio so it could with my phone. I did some googling about car aerials and they said that some aerials will need an amplifier, so I was wondering If transits needed the same, it may not.
flower man

Postby MattD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:43 am

I understand. The transit doesn't necessarily need an amplified aerial, but if you've had a new one fitted, including new cabling from aerial to radio, and hasn't improved, then there's nothing to lose. Should be easy to fit too as your new radio will more than likely have a +12v output wire which can be used to power the amplifier when the radio is on.
MattD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits