*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Noisy idle - does this sound normal

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Noisy idle - does this sound normal

Postby kryptek49 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 am

My brothers Mk7 2.4 Rwd transit sounds quite lumpy at idle, but the noise also seems to come and go.

The van still drives perfectly and sounds normal throughout the rev range, it's just at low RPM there's a weird noise from the right hand side of the engine bay.

Video attached - note how the noise seems to disappear in the last few seconds of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijIIAyKMGY

Any thoughts?
kryptek49

Re: Noisy idle - does this sound normal

Postby loot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:15 am

Is that a generic fuel filter? Mann or ford should be used for tdci fitment.
Are there any warning lights on?
Both batteries will need checking too, I've known a bad main battery to cause hunting when failing.
Check the air filter is clean and dry.

If no different after that then it could be a few things, well need checking by a mechanic who knows the van
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby kryptek49 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm

loot wrote:Is that a generic fuel filter? Mann or ford should be used for tdci fitment.
Both batteries will need checking too, I've known a bad main battery to cause hunting when failing.

If no different after that then it could be a few things, well need checking by a mechanic who knows the van

Good spot on the fuel filter - we just fitted it and its not OEM - the old one was a ford one - I bought this service kit on ebay and assumed it was all good:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... 2749.l2649

The old Ford Fuel Filter was no different though.

There are no warning lights, he's recently had some battery issues but they are now 100% charged - both on 12.6V, so that shouldn't be the issue. Would you recommend taking them to a car shop to get tested properly?

Brand new air filter installed as well, same noise before & after.
kryptek49

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm

kryptek49 wrote:
loot wrote:Is that a generic fuel filter? Mann or ford should be used for tdci fitment.

Good spot on the fuel filter - we just fitted it and its not OEM - the old one was a ford one - I bought this service kit on ebay and assumed it was all good:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... 2749.l2649

The old Ford Fuel Filter was no different though.

There are no warning lights, he's recently had some battery issues but they are now 100% charged - both on 12.6V, so that shouldn't be the issue. Would you recommend taking them to a car shop to get tested properly?

Brand new air filter installed as well, same noise before & after.

We recommend a quality or Ford filter as we've found some aftermarket filters are not as they seem, Mann are also a decent filter.

Have you checked the two injector clamp bolts, they're known to come loose and cause a similar noise.

A proper load test on the batteries is a good idea, can't hurt at least. A poorly front battery causes all sorts of gremlins.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits