*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

turbo passing oil

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: turbo passing oil

Postby andz327 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Diesel doesn't go near the turbo,
Slack injectors will blow fuel past their compression seal(copper washer) straight into the cam box
Could be faulty injector over fueling
Possibly hole in a piston

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Patvan247 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:45 pm

andz327 wrote:Diesel doesn't go near the turbo,
Slack injectors will blow fuel past their compression seal(copper washer) straight into the cam box
Could be faulty injector over fueling
Possibly hole in a piston

ANDZ

this wouldn't explain why my intercooler, inlet and pipework was full of diesel/oil though would it?
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 pm

If your oil level is above max forever reason it will blow out the breather into the intercooler.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Is there Loads of oil around base of injectors??

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jay2018 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm

andz327 wrote:Thought the light came on at 18k if its 20k then it's every 20k she gets serviced

ANDZ

Probably is every 18k, I meant 20k ish in general. I just thought you had shorter intervals because it made it to such a high mileage.
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Jay2018 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Thought the light came on at 18k if its 20k then it's every 20k she gets serviced

ANDZ

Probably is every 18k, I meant 20k ish in general. I just thought you had shorter intervals because it made it to such a high mileage.
Nope when servicecomes on dash, if i done every 5k like someI'd be doing an oil change every 7 days when I'm busy, quality oil keeps her happy

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Patvan247 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm

andz327 wrote:Is there Loads of oil around base of injectors??

ANDZ

Not looked. I’ve only just replaced the injector seals.
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Maybe thats where the fault is , injectors not seat properly and the blow by has dieseled yer oil making it mega thin and pissin through your turbo and like Bambi said if its put oil level way up then it'll be blowing into the breather also, i take it you used new bolts and the newer clamps and recut the seat

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Patvan247 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 pm

andz327 wrote:Maybe thats where the fault is , injectors not seat properly and the blow by has dieseled yer oil making it mega thin and pissin through your turbo and like Bambi said if its put oil level way up then it'll be blowing into the breather also, i take it you used new bolts and the newer clamps and recut the seat

ANDZ

Do you think? Yes new clamps, bolts, copper sealing washers and seats recut. Would it not pass up through the rocker cover around the injectors if it was that?
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 pm

As the other chaps have mentioned, oil can only get into the inlet side of things via turbo and/or breather system. Fuel in oil can only come from injectors with poorly seals, or duff piston/rings, have heard of pumps with poor drive shaft seals leaking into the timing cover... but this is very rare.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Patvan247 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Maybe thats where the fault is , injectors not seat properly and the blow by has dieseled yer oil making it mega thin and pissin through your turbo and like Bambi said if its put oil level way up then it'll be blowing into the breather also, i take it you used new bolts and the newer clamps and recut the seat

ANDZ

Do you think? Yes new clamps, bolts, copper sealing washers and seats recut. Would it not pass up through the rocker cover around the injectors if it was that?

There's room between the copper seals and rocker cover seals, if the copper seals are not perfect and clamps are not holding well, fuel can get between the seals and eventually end up in the sump, hence all the fuel in your oil.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Patvan247 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Patvan247 wrote:

ANDZ

There's room between the copper seals and rocker cover seals, if the copper seals are not perfect and clamps are not holding well, fuel can get between the seals and eventually end up in the sump, hence all the fuel in your oil.

Lord Knobrot

Seems possible! Would this be enough to over fill the sump and cause runaway?
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:05 am

Patvan247 wrote: Seems possible! Would this be enough to over fill the sump and cause runaway?

Unlikely, unless the oil level gets to the level of the breather line...which is again, highly unlikely. I believe it's your turbo leaking oil, filling the intercooler and hence the air intake system with oil, which is causing the runaway. There's hundreds of examples on boobtoob.

The oil has to get to the inlet manifold before the engine can run on the oil....The engine has to be a horrendously heavy breather if the turbo is ok and it's filling the intercooler/intake with oil.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 am

Patvan247 wrote:
ned wrote:
Patvan247 wrote:Checked breather and return pipe today and both clear. I’m thinking compression test next. Any other ideas? There defiantly something causing oil to get into the inlet. My intercooler and pipe work was full of oil also pipe work from and to the EGR.

This definitely sounds like the turbo has a problem, with the amount of oil in the pipes, intercooler ect there not many places the oil can come from.

We had a Renault migraine that the turbo went on, it didn't run away just smoked like a bitch and kept overheating, new turbo and all way fine, for 2 weeks then it popped a piston :shock:

I dropped the oil today and there is masses amount of diesel in there! would this indicate anything or would this still happen if the turbo was at fault?

I would be checking the high pressure diesel pump seal :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Patvan247 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 am

where is this seal located? I replaced the SCV not long ago due to idling issues.
Patvan247
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits