*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery Switch Out

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Battery Switch Out

Postby alandav123 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi all, Im on a budget just now so am thinking of changing the battery myself ( ex hgv mechanic from 30 years ago so have some idea of whats what) but Im concerned about these new memory saver things which were not around when I was on the spanners....Can I buy a generic memory saver, plug it in , disconnect the battery or batteries, bolt in new ones and Im good to go? All the mapping, code input etc seriously is way above my head and I would have no clue how to sort an electrical ECU type error. Maybe Id be better to suck it up and give motor to an auto electric place and get it done ...I just dislike paying anyone for doing something I could feesably do myself...its just the memory thing thats bothering me...Cheers everyone....
alandav123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Battery Switch Out

Postby Noctule » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Chances are the only thing you'll need to reset is the clock. Everything else will sort itself out.

Battery swap is quite straightforward, just make sure you buy the best battery you can afford. A good online battery shop can get you a sensible battery in a day or two for a lot less than most car shops.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby alandav123 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Mat, thanks for reply...it would be fantastic if it sorted itself out..setting the clock etc is no worry and I have radio code. I remember the guy who sold it to me saying that it had been remapped or mapped to 120 BHP so it drives really well. If all those voodoo settings got wiped Id be in a real mess. I need it for work as Im self employed handyman..no van means Im finished.......thanks again
alandav123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:33 pm

alandav123 wrote:Hi Mat, thanks for reply...it would be fantastic if it sorted itself out..setting the clock etc is no worry and I have radio code. I remember the guy who sold it to me saying that it had been remapped or mapped to 120 BHP so it drives really well. If all those voodoo settings got wiped Id be in a real mess. I need it for work as Im self employed handyman..no van means Im finished.......thanks again

Changing out the batteries will have no effect on the mapping....and as mentioned by Noctule, you'll just need to reset the radio and clock...everything else should sort itself oot. If you're really worried about losing anything, just connect a battery to the jump points in the engine bay whilst you change out the main batteries...this will keep all the radio and clock settings happy.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 pm

knobby1 wrote: If you're really worried about losing anything, just connect a battery to the jump points in the engine bay whilst you change out the main batteries

Always remembering, if you do this, that the positive battery lead will still be live, so shouldn't be dropped on the floor of the van, or touch anything else, when you remove it from the battery. I always wrap mine in a thick-ish cloth and lay it to one side out of the way, when I'm swapping out one of the batteries :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Altransit wrote:
knobby1 wrote: If you're really worried about losing anything, just connect a battery to the jump points in the engine bay whilst you change out the main batteries

Always remembering, if you do this, that the positive battery lead will still be live, so shouldn't be dropped on the floor of the van, or touch anything else, when you remove it from the battery. I always wrap mine in a thick-ish cloth and lay it to one side out of the way, when I'm swapping out one of the batteries :)

Knobby will be ok ,the lead wont short off the headcloth :mrgreen: :wink: :P
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:38 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:Knobby will be ok ,the lead wont short off the headcloth :mrgreen: :wink: :P

LOL... :lol: Knowing my luck...it probably will..! :roll:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby alandav123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks one and all...after weighing it all up I got a recommendation to a local place so have booked it in there. I cant really take a chance on putting in a new battery and that getting fried as its the regulator or alternator thats the issue....its too much of a gamble.....

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Alan D
alandav123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm

alandav123 wrote:Thanks one and all...after weighing it all up I got a recommendation to a local place so have booked it in there. I cant really take a chance on putting in a new battery and that getting fried as its the regulator or alternator thats the issue....its too much of a gamble.....

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Alan D

If you're not sure about electrics, it's probably your best plan :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits