*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2008 single battery want to fit leisure

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2008 single battery want to fit leisure

Postby jacksonator » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey guys,

only me :lol: I have a pretty simple question,

Can I buy a leisure battery and put it in where the second battery should go? will it have a vent hole or would I need to make one?

I will use an aftermarket split charger so I don't have to have anything updated. So a fused live from my main battery to the new battery then ground the split sensor and the negative battery terminal to the chassis.

My thinking of putting it where the second battery should go is to keep the job tidy and then there isn't any wires running anywhere.

Has anyone does this here before?

Thank you in advance - I did use the search function but not specific to my question i have seen peoples camper conversions putting a battery in the rear or adding a second battery to a single battery mk7 and updating the software for it to charge 2 batteries.
jacksonator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 2008 single battery want to fit leisure

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 pm

The "second battery" was a factory option in the FWD machines, so some of the hardware may be there already, just a matter of sorting what else you need. RWD's came from the factory with twin batteries as standard.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 am

I've done something very similar, although I had a donor van too so I could use its battery cables. Battery itself is located in the front of the seat base (original battery clamp does both batteries). The positive cable is connected to the same shunt as the original battery in the seat base fusebox. I fiited a 200A isolator in the seat base that disconnects this wire. In parallel with the isolator I wired a TEC3M caravan towing relay, designed to operate a fridge en route and charge the caravan battery whenever the towing vehicle is charging. Basically it is used as a 30A voltage sensing relay which automatically connects and charges the auxiliary battery when there is alternator output. The reason for the isolator (which is normally open) is I can connect the two batteries directly together if needed (eg. if the van battery was low and it needed a jump start).
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jacksonator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Evening Guys,

Thank you for the reply guys :)

Andy that sounds exactly like I am after! So you still fitted your leisure battery under your seat next to your singular battery then did all the sense relay etc?

Did you place and earth the sensor and leisure battery to the body under the seat?
jacksonator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cider Andy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 am

Yes the whole lot goes under the seat, in the seat base. The original battery main earth to chassis is done at the front corner mounting bolt of the seat base. I fitted the second battery ground cable on the other front corner of the seat base.

I didn't put the TEC3M in there but that's only because I'd done some other wiring jobs at the same time and the relay was fitted with the other stuff. Had I just done it as a project like yours I'd have mounted it in the seat base. It's a small unit, there's plenty of space for it and it minimises the wiring.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jacksonator » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Ah fantastic! That's filled me with confidence to get on it and get it done. Been doing a few other bits to it fitted an awning rail, black out curtains all round and some other little bits.

Would I be able to use the same earth as the main battery or do I need to put in a secondary earth?

Do you have any pictures of your install?

Thank you :)
jacksonator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:29 pm

If you get a factory twin batt earth lead, it has a clamp for each battery in the correct position, and bolts to the same seat bolt as the original. You can also buy a twin pipe to dispel the vapour to the original outlet.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits