*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

POWER FEED RELAY FOR ABS SYSTEM MK7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

TRANSIT MK7 ABS Fault

Postby Mr.rebuild » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 am

Hi All
I have been unfortunate with my recent purchase, a 2012 Ford Transit 2.4Tdci T35M from a van trader in Coventry which developed an ABS fault within 75 miles of leaving his yard.
The Coventry van trader does not sound interested in fixing fault which was diagnosed as "ABS Module, LOSS OF COMMUNICATION" by my local garage.
The van traders suggestion was to drive van until fault goes away (typical!)

I have replaced the original vehicle electric battery (Electrics battery tested as failed, the second battery was found as recently replaced)
Repaired corroded body earth point
Renewed the harness earth points in NSF wheel arch
Checked and cleaned electric harness connector(NSF under bonnet) and ABS module connector (which were both found in clean condition.)
Spoken to my local ford dealership to be advised this model does not suffer with failed ABS modulators and I was first person to enquire about a replacement ABS modulator supply quantity.
I am taking van for second diagnostic fault code read today.

The van drives great and is the perfect size van for my business. I am keen to fix the fault and I'm looking for advice of what others use for their own van diagnostics.
I have seen on ebay for just £75
Autel AutoLink AL619 ML619 OBD2 Auto Code Reader Diagnostic Scanner Tool ABS SRS

Any advice on this diagnostic tool appreciated.

Anyone out there had the same fault of ABS module loss of communication?

The van was fine on test drive and behaved well for first 75 miles.
I would like to resolve the problem myself before getting into any possible legal battle with a van trader not interested in providing the 3 month warranty he assured me at time of sale.

Cheers, Phill
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: TRANSIT MK7 ABS Fault

Postby Mr.rebuild » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi All
My fault went from being intermittent for 2 days before being a permanent ABS and Traction control lights on dashboard fault for 3 days.

My final repair was the under bonnet earth post replacement followed by a road journey of 40 miles and thankfully no ABS lights.

Having had a diagnostic fault code read again today at my local garage we found NO FAULT present which could mean the fault was no more than a rusty earth post (NSF on top of wheel arch)

This info could be useful to any other Ford Transit owner with ABS lights not relating to a wheel speed sensor. I have not used the van long enough to establish a permanent fix but results look promising so far!

Any feedback on a Autel Auto link ML619 code reader would still be appreciated

Many Thanks
Phill
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Most of us on here, who don't have Ford IDS, use a modified ELM327 diagnostic lead, with downloaded Forscan software on a laptop. You need the ELM 327 with the HS/MS can switch incorporated.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mr.rebuild » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 pm

I got my hopes up to soon. The ABS lights have lit up the dashboard again 10 miles after having a diagnostic check done today.

Any suggestions to the ABS module loosing comms appreciated
Cheers
Phill
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Mr.rebuild wrote:I got my hopes up to soon. The ABS lights have lit up the dashboard again 10 miles after having a diagnostic check done today.

Cheers
Phill

Have you checked all the sensors, reluctor rings and looms to/from each wheel..??

Are all the tyres the same size..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr.rebuild » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 pm

I’ve Just looked at eBay “sold results” for Mk 7 abs modulators/ pumps.
Around 10 ABS ford transit mk7 units a month are sold and replaced.

Thanks for recent feedback
All four tyres are the same size, same tread depth and correct operating pressure

Diagnostics has given two different results on different days from No abs module comms. and the other result was No fault present .

Abs lights Fault occurs distance ranges from just 1 mile “on”. to 75 miles being the longest time off

Abs dash lights duration. range from a permanent display to a simple “key off, key on “ reset. But Not always

Having seen the eBay sales quantity and the totally random behaviour it is now pointing towards getting the abs module tested. A company called Ecu testing found on the internet claim it’s a common transit failure (but it’s their business website quoting this statement)

Its an 8 year old van with over 130,000 miles. No control unit is built to last forever. The ABS system is an important safety feature which needs to operate properly.
It’s a Great van but with one very , very annoying problem to resolve and make it roadworthy again .

The Van trader has telephoned me today and kindly offered some assistance with the issue .

I’ve only had it 2 weeks so not a very good start to my second ford transit ownership experience
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 am

Change the abs fuses and check the old ones for pitting :idea: Had a similar problem with a VW Crafter which took a while to solve which was a bad connection between the fuse and the contacts in the fuse board :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr.rebuild » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 am

I have already checked and inspected all the abs fuses for their security and condition . They were all clean , tight and original to the van.

That sounds a good plan to replace them with new as it only costs pence to try and see if any difference is made.

The ABS fault occurred within 6 days of van ownership. From all my investigations I have found evidence that someone else has been trying to cure this fault before me.

Thanks again for your advice
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

POWER FEED RELAY FOR ABS SYSTEM MK7

Postby Mr.rebuild » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:10 am

I now have a second hand ABS module to swap over to my van. Before swapping over the electric ABS module can anyone with MK7 wiring diagrams advise which relay is the power feed relay for the ABS.

I've looked in the hand book and there is no obvious titled relay so is possibly part of an ignition system feed.

Its a 2012 2.4Tdci van T350M which has only one major fault, its not roadworthy with the dashboard lit up and no working ABS system!

I've also discovered that during the entire year 2019 the van did about 80 miles and was held withing the motor trade. Maybe due to this intermittent ABS fault?

The van was purchased from a commercial van trader just over 2 weeks ago. If I can not fix the fault then it will have to go back to the trader for a refund. I've just discovered that I am protected under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The trader is also in breech of contract for selling a vehicle with a major safety related fault as it is not "fit for purpose".

I want to keep the van and don't really want to loose several hundred pounds on my repair costs to date for the sake of what could be a £15 relay. The intermittent fault maybe no more than a sticking relay? During the past few days I have found and fixed three ABS related Electrical faults, so I must be getting close to a Fix

Any used van purchase is a lottery and I've just been unlucky. The next used Transit van could end up being worse?
This van was priced to sell and Sadly I have found out why!

The intermittent ABS fault was not disclosed at point of sale.
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: POWER FEED RELAY FOR ABS SYSTEM MK7

Postby Airthies » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm

What fixes have you made sofar?

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Airthies wrote:What fixes have you made sofar?

I've merged the threads so that you can read back :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Airthies » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Altransit wrote:
Airthies wrote:What fixes have you made sofar?

I've merged the threads so that you can read back :)
That all makes more sense now

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jay2018 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Mr.rebuild wrote:I got my hopes up to soon. The ABS lights have lit up the dashboard again 10 miles after having a diagnostic check done today.

Cheers
Phill

Have you checked all the sensors, reluctor rings and looms to/from each wheel..??

Are all the tyres the same size..??

Lord Knobrot

Did you check everything suggested here? Could it be something as simple as a loose or faulty ABS sensor?
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mr.rebuild » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:00 pm

replacement earth studs - AS FOUND.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mr.rebuild » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:01 pm

WIRING sleeving opened up - AS FOUND.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr.rebuild
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits