*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 gear selector cables

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 gear selector cables

Postby Parkwarden » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Just paid a local garage to fit recon gearbox; new clutch; & new flywheel. 1000 miles later it's broken down and their diagnosis is that a gear selector cable's snapped. It's a 2.4 litre 5-speed. My question is whether this is likely to be due to incorrect fitting when they replaced the gearbox or, as they claim, totally unrelated?
Parkwarden
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 gear selector cables

Postby Altransit » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Parkwarden wrote: their diagnosis is that a gear selector cable's snapped.

Is that a long range diagnosis, or have they looked at it :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Parkwarden » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Altransit wrote:
Parkwarden wrote: their diagnosis is that a gear selector cable's snapped.

Is that a long range diagnosis, or have they looked at it :?:

I've had them recover it, so it's on their ramp right now! Lol
Parkwarden
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Parkwarden wrote:Just paid a local garage to fit recon gearbox; new clutch; & new flywheel. 1000 miles later it's broken down and their diagnosis is that a gear selector cable's snapped. It's a 2.4 litre 5-speed. My question is whether this is likely to be due to incorrect fitting when they replaced the gearbox or, as they claim, totally unrelated?

Doubtful a broken cable would be a garage problem otherwise there wouldnt be loads for sale on ebay :wink: :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Parkwarden » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
Parkwarden wrote:Just paid a local garage to fit recon gearbox; new clutch; & new flywheel. 1000 miles later it's broken down and their diagnosis is that a gear selector cable's snapped. It's a 2.4 litre 5-speed. My question is whether this is likely to be due to incorrect fitting when they replaced the gearbox or, as they claim, totally unrelated?

Doubtful a broken cable would be a garage problem otherwise there wouldnt be loads for sale on ebay :wink: :wink:

With no ramp or off road parking to work on my van, most problems are garage problems for me at the moment.
It just seems an odd coincidence that the gear selector cables have gone so soon after the gearbox was replaced. Obviously the garage aren't about to volunteer any information like "the apprentice was mauling those cables with blunt nose pliers" or "they were on their last legs but we didn't bother mentioning it" and having never done it myself I don't know the likelihood of damaging them during a gearbox exchange. I'd just like people's opinions.
Parkwarden
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits