*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van stalling and loosing Power

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Van stalling and loosing Power

Postby Wali110 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 am

I have recently serviced my Van myself and changed the Air Filter, Oil Filter along with the Oil and have since been getting problems with it.

It runs fine for a few minutes but then decides to turn off when not accelerating.

Sometimes is there also no power when pressing the accelerator.

The fault goes away and the Van runs fine once its warmed up to temperature.

I have checked for any fault codes but none are coming up.

I then even done the whole service process again to make sure that everything was done properly but the fault was still there.

Then did I put in a full Tank also along with an EGR and Injector cleaner and drove it for over 50 miles which also never helped.

My suspicion is that it may well be the EGR again as I have had the same symptoms two years ago and changing it then had fixed the problem but am not 100% certain.

Is there anything else that could be causing similar problems that is worth looking into ?

Thanks for any help and advice.
Ford Transit Luton 2008 2.4 RWD LWB 6 Speed

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Van stalling and loosing Power

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am

What code reader was used..?? Some of them have trouble with the Transits.

When was the fuel filter last changed..??

I my experience Injector and EGR cleaners are usually useless....but they do help to lighten your wallet.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wali110 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:40 am

I tried the Forscan which is what I usually use then did I also try my ELM one and the AA guy also then used his own scan tool with no codes.

Fuel Filter was changed in 2018.

EGR cleaners waste of money....yes lesson learned lol.

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Ok, Forscan would pick up anything stray code wise.

If your fuel filter has not been changed in 2 years, I'd pop a new one on anyway to rule it out as an issue. I usually replace mine at each 10,000km service as they're relatively cheap insurance.

Your PRV may be playing up and these don't usually throw a code. Pop the return line off the end of the PRV and see if there's a silly amount of fuel coming out @ idle, a drip or two would be ok but anything more would be cause to suspect it. Failing that an injector leak-off test would give a good indication of injector health. SCV is also a common failing point on Euro-4 machines.

A couple of other things to check:

Crank and cam sensors for metal swarf etc.

EGR operation, although it should throw a code if not functioning properly.

You can also use Forscan to collect some live data, rpm, fuel rail pressures, (demanded vs actual), EGR function etc...??

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wali110 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm

As per usual....thank you for your reply Lord knobrot.

I have followed up your first advice and went on to change the fuel filter which was not the cure unfortunately.

When I went back to my local Garage who changed my EGR two years ago and I told him that I had the same symptoms again did he advise for me to get the EGR changed again but to come back next week.

I have made an attempt myself and managed to change the EGR myself, the problem is still there however so I will tomorrow check the PRV as you have advised.

I will check the PRV tomorrow then as your suggestion and then try to look into an injector leak off test.

The problem pretty much started after I done a service myself and believe that I may have put in too much Oil but then removed some.

I have noticed that there are four things going into the engine from the top, not sure if these are the injectors but noticed that one of them was very much covered in a lot of Oil and not sure if this could be the culprit. I have attached a Picture of the findings.

Thank you again for your kind help my friend.

Transit engine top oil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 am

The oil around the injector is not going to make it cut out or stall etc...It might pay to replace the copper injector washers and seals in the rocker cover in future to eliminate the oil leaking.....but they won't cause a real running issue unless the copper sealing washers are worn/leaking badly, your engine would be possibly rattling if this were the case due to loose injectors. Have you checked the injector clamps/bolts to see if they're still snug..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wali110 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:46 pm

all sorted now thanks, it turned out to be the EGR Valve.

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wali110 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:33 pm

The van has still been stalling and changing the egr has not made a difference. I only drive the van twice a week for like 15 miles in total and not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I have noticed that the van mainly stalls when im driving it uphill or going downhill and not really sure what that could be.

Thanks for your kind help again

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wali110 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 pm

I removed the end line to the prv and hardly anything came out during idle just two small drips.

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Wali110 wrote:I removed the end line to the prv and hardly anything came out during idle just two small drips.

A set of learns may be helpful, would at least rule out pump and injectors as an issue.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Wali110 wrote:I removed the end line to the prv and hardly anything came out during idle just two small drips.

A set of learns may be helpful, would at least rule out pump and injectors as an issue.

Lord Knobrot

What about the ignition switch :wink:
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wali110 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Whats a set of learns ?

I doubt that its the ignition because it stalls mainly when driving uphill and downhill.

Thanks anyway

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Wali110 wrote:Whats a set of learns ?

I doubt that its the ignition because it stalls mainly when driving uphill and downhill.

Thanks anyway

Learns are part of the fuel system check, IDS or Forscan or required, there's heaps of info on here about it.

Ignition switch is a known failure point and can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, just replace it as they're cheap insurance.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wali110 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm

I have just found out the following information:

If your car only stalls out while going up or down hills, low fuel pressure is the reason. Without enough fuel pressure, your car will not run reliably. Even if you have low fuel pressure, your car can run normally on level ground, but as soon as you head uphill, your car will probably stall without enough pressure.

Now to find out what may be causing low fuel pressure.

Birmingham West Midlands
Wali110
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kalb087 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:27 pm

Did you ever find the culprit?
kalb087

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits