*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 sound that follows revs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 sound that follows revs

Postby layz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:12 am

Hi,

new Transit is having a sound somewhere from the engine. It follows the revs. A friend of mine says its the flywheel.
in this youtube video a viewer is saying that it could be the injector clamps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE5Y8CF74PM
mind you that mine is not as excessive as his, but its kind of the same sound and my transit is leaking oil from all four injectors (i pressume, i can only see the two on each side)

i wanted to get this done for a while now anyway. i found complete kits from the UK on ebay. i read somewhere that the bolts need replacing too. is that correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202130364644
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253369360552

which of the two sellers do you prefer.

to sum up:

could the noise come from the injector clamps being lose.
will i need bolts aswell

bonus info: i have been driving with low revs for quite a while to avoid that sound and now the dpf is full. good times.
Transit mk7 2012, 2.2 140 FWD DPF
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk7 sound that follows revs

Postby Uber_Beluga » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Disclaimer... I'm not very mechanically knowledgeable, but I have some experience which may be of interest.

Shortly after I got my MK7 I noticed the same noise. I put it down a big old industrial diesel engine, of which this was my first. So I used it as normal, some spirited driving to a nearby MTB trail and one of the injectors popped out leaving me stuck round a blind corner.

I made a series of bad decisions and ended up with a local recovery company looking at the van in their own garage. It came out that the bolt for the injector had snapped. I don't know if they did this while trying to remove it or if that was the problem which caused the injector to come out in the first place, but I'd advise being extra careful applying torque to get them out and making use of penetrating oil etc. Based on the whole interraction I got the impression they had snapped it by mistake when trying to get it out.

I ended up shipping the van across the country to get someone I trusted to machine the snapped bolt out and sort it. Was a nightmare and still it's not perfect and I do get that sound from time to time.

So, based on my experience alone I think an injector tension issue is plausable, and would recommend you tend to it sooner rather than later. I'd also really recommend changing the bolts whenever you get a chance.
2008 Mk7 GLX 130 MWB High roof
Uber_Beluga
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dymondaudio » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm

sounds like injector(s) to me as well.

Check to see if the injector clamp bolts are loose as suggested then a leak off test. If you decide it's the clamps, get genuine stretch bolts, a pack of 5 is £13 delivered from Rates ford on eBay.

Any fuel leaking around injectors?
2008 2.4 T350/140 Trend LWB H/R

Previous
2008 2.4 T350/115 LWB HR
2006 2.4 T350/100 LX LWB MR
2002 2.0 T280/75 MWB MR
2000 2.5 SWB MR
dymondaudio
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby layz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:13 pm

dymondaudio wrote:sounds like injector(s) to me as well.
Check to see if the injector clamp bolts are loose as suggested then a leak off test. If you decide it's the clamps, get genuine stretch bolts, a pack of 5 is £13 delivered from Rates ford on eBay.
Any fuel leaking around injectors?

bolts is included in this kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKER-COVER-G ... 2604146324

why is the leak off test necessary?
around the top of the injectors there is a liquid but i dont know if its engine oil or diesel.
what is the correct way to test if it is the injector clamps?

@Uber_Beluga thanks for the heads up. i'll keep that in mind!
some twat broke into the van a few days ago, so mine is also shipped halfway across the country to a mechanic i trust.
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:40 pm

layz wrote:bolts is included in this kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKER-COVER-G ... 2604146324

Nice to have it all in one go, but that's an expensive way to buy the parts

layz wrote:
around the top of the injectors there is a liquid but i don't know if its engine oil or diesel.
what is the correct way to test if it is the injector clamps?

If you have liquid around the top of the injectors, it's almost certain to be leaking seals, normally caused by a clamp coming loose. It's best to take it out, replace parts, and fit a new bolt rather than just tightening the bolt (which can snap!). You may not need clamps if yours are already the newer type. You may need to ream the seats if the injector has been leaking for a long time, and the washer is 'hammered'
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby layz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:52 am

Altransit wrote:Nice to have it all in one go, but that's an expensive way to buy the parts

If you have liquid around the top of the injectors, it's almost certain to be leaking seals, normally caused by a clamp coming loose. It's best to take it out, replace parts, and fit a new bolt rather than just tightening the bolt (which can snap!). You may not need clamps if yours are already the newer type. You may need to ream the seats if the injector has been leaking for a long time, and the washer is 'hammered'

you think its expensive? i was under the impression that buying a kit was the cheapest way to go :shock:
what does "newer type" stand for?

i will do an inspection when I am at the van in 3-5 days.
can you recommend me the best way to investigate if the clamps are loose?

what if the sound isnt coming from the injectors/clamps, do anyone have a suggestion to what it could be?

im pretty sure that it follows the revs no matter if its in gear or not, press the clutch or not, while pressing the accelerator

damn, i miss my tranny. im driving a 2001 peugeot boxer at the moment.
its solid, but comfort wasnt invented in 2001 apparently.

i forgot to mention, i dont know if you can hear it while standing outside the van, i actually think its only noticable from the inside.
i can be wrong tho, its been a while since i drove it
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Here is a picture of the injector on the far right, that was recently changed. The mechanic said "the injector needs replacing".
Could it just have been the seals/washers that needs replacing instead of the whole injector?

This one is wet compared to the other tht are only grimey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 pm

Update: i cleaned the dpf with a kit from JLM and engine light and cog disappered. Good times! On my way home i put in a extreme diesel clean additive also from JLM.

It felt great to drive and on the first day i even felt like the sound was starting to disappear.

Two days and 300 kilometers later i have an appointment with a friend of mine to diagnose the sound but at this point it's literally gone!

Two days after that the sound is very much back and sometimes in first gear it cuts out for a milisecond when accelerating.

It feels like i am driving with a bunch of cargo, because it's very slow responding in the low gears...

I have no idea whats going on.....
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 am

Update: yesterday the cutting out was very bad. after starting it up at a customers house it ran on only three cylinders and very rough idle.

a friend of mine diagnosed a clogged diesel filter because after some starts and revs it was back to normal. new filter will be fitted today.
after the dpf cleaning i added a "extreme clean diesel additive". could that be the reason that it clogged the filter?

he's pretty sure that the noise i was talking about is from a high gear bearing (probably the wrong word for it?)
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:05 am

update:

when sitting in the cabin the sound is very noticable but not from the outside.
to me it sounds like it is coming from my right (left hand drive) and the gearbox/clutch is on my left, so i suspect that the sound is something entirely different.

if i end up on the psychiatric ward, you know why.

ps: theres plenty of sounds from a bad wheel bearing on the right and bad door rubber seal on the left.......
302.000 kilometers
layz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits