*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

starting problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

starting problem

Postby frankiepeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:56 am

hi.new to this forum and i dont have much mechanical knowhow but willing to try.i have a 09 110 t260s fwd 2.2 transit.only just bought the van and went onto reserve fuel for about 6 miles when i lost all power.thought fuel gauge might have been wrong and run out of fuel .put more in and it would only run for about 15sec and cut out.called breakdown he checked fuel to injectors sqirted easystart down air filter got it running with lots of smoke and said it was probably the turbo.towed to garage where they said its not the turbo but changed the erg valve.still the same so they drained the fuel as they thought there might be water in it.bled the system but still the same problem.towed it home now as they didnt know what else to do. not sure if its a mk6 or 7.for that year
frankiepeter

Re: starting problem

Postby C & S direct » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm

You've got a mk7 if it's 2009 110ps

They have issue with fuel pump, in particular on the pump, the suction control valve (scv). On the fuel rail, the pressure relief valve (prv) and the ecu needs a PCM update after they are replaced.

You need to get the codes they used to change the EGR. This is on just before the air intake manifold on the front of engine you can see it straight away if it has been done etc.

Sometimes the fuel filter bodies leak on an euro 4.

If it turns out to be the, scv and prv you will need to get the correct genuine ford filter or you'll end up needing new injectors eventually.

Get the codes first off.
C & S direct
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby frankiepeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:51 pm

hi. thanks for that.have ordered an scv first off.not sure what you meant about the egr codes.is this something i will need to go back to the garage for.
frankiepeter

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 pm

Mate dont go buying things before you get engine management codes read , must have been a sh!t garage you were at
Did they replace fuel filter after draining fuel tank ?

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frankiepeter » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 am

yes had new filter bosch i think.where do i get the codes from.
frankiepeter

Postby C & S direct » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Sorry I gathered the garage you used, retrieved the fault codes from the engine. Hence them choosing to change the egr valve.

If they won't give them to you I'd get the codes read from the ecu (PCM) this will point you in the right direction, most info will be on here relating to each code.

All the best.
C & S direct
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby C & S direct » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm

frankiepeter wrote:yes had new filter bosch i think.where do i get the codes from.

Non genuine ford filters, use the wrong micron filtration, the injectors will wear quicker, diesel systems are very high engineering. Bosch I would like to say know this and produce to same specifications, cheap filters are cheap for a reason etc.
C & S direct
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:47 am

C & S direct wrote:
frankiepeter wrote:yes had new filter bosch i think.where do i get the codes from.

Non genuine ford filters, use the wrong micron filtration, the injectors will wear quicker, diesel systems are very high engineering. Bosch I would like to say know this and produce to same specifications, cheap filters are cheap for a reason etc.
Bosch filters are fine I've done over 300,000miles in years with Bosch, you have a laptop you can download FORSCAN free and buy an switched elm327 unit (see tunnel rat electonics)which connects your van to your laptop and you'll be able to do your own diagnostics

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frankiepeter » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:04 am

hi ive got a hand scanning tool but it shows no fault codes
frankiepeter

Postby C & S direct » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:20 pm

andz327 wrote:
C & S direct wrote:

Bosch filters are fine I've done over 300,000miles in years with Bosch, you have a laptop you can download FORSCAN free and buy an switched elm327 unit (see tunnel rat electonics)which connects your van to your laptop and you'll be able to do your own diagnostics

Not quite sure what is happening here? But I'm simply trying to explain, issues, that are caused from using the wrong filters. Bosch I'd like to say is regarded as a well known brand for quality so didn't see the need to point this out. Regardless I don't want to step on any toe's, just trying to help from past experience and findings. I'll get my coat :oops:.

All the best with the fix
C & S direct
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby C & S direct » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:50 pm

frankiepeter wrote:hi ive got a hand scanning tool but it shows no fault codes

Sorry missed this.

It's possible the tool you've used was not able to read codes correctly, If defiantly no codes, its mechanical.

Places to look, aside from what I first mentioned-

Fuel system leak or injector flow rates.

Has it run on it's own oil? This mushrooms injector tip's and causes non start.

Compression test.

Going to hide under a rock somewhere :( :lol:
C & S direct
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:25 pm

C & S direct wrote:
andz327 wrote:
C & S direct wrote:[quote="frankiepeter"]yes had new filter bosch i think.where do i get the codes from.

Not quite sure what is happening here? But I'm simply trying to explain, issues, that are caused from using the wrong filters. Bosch I'd like to say is regarded as a well known brand for quality so didn't see the need to point this out. Regardless I don't want to step on any toe's, just trying to help from past experience and findings. I'll get my coat :oops:.

All the best with the fix[/quote]

C&S direct....Fella what are you talking about stepping on toes ?????

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frankiepeter » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 pm

hi. i have now replaced the scv and tried to replace the prv but was unable to slacken the old one off.changing the scv made no difference still just runs for about 15sec.pumping the gas pedal makes no difference to the revs.when i take off the fuel filter it is half empty.not sure if this should be full or not.not too sure what to try next.
frankiepeter

Postby knobby1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 pm

frankiepeter wrote:hi. i have now replaced the scv and tried to replace the prv but was unable to slacken the old one off.changing the scv made no difference still just runs for about 15sec.pumping the gas pedal makes no difference to the revs.when i take off the fuel filter it is half empty.not sure if this should be full or not.not too sure what to try next.

If you replace the SCV, the "Learns" will need to be done otherwise it'll never run properly. PRV is always "effing tight"....you may need to remove the fuel rail and put it in a vice to remove the PRV....I had the same issue when I did mine..

"Pumping" the gas pedal does nothing....it's fly by wire and has no cable as such. The PCM will disable the throttle pedal until a stable idle of ~800rpm is achieved.

Have you changed the oil/filter recently..?? If so what oil was used..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits