*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch in engine runs cluth out engine dies

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Clutch in engine runs cluth out engine dies

Postby FitnessBud » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am

Hi all!

I brought a 2010 Ford Transit 2.4 three weeks ago and it was running fine other then the idle sometimes surging up and down when the cluth was depressed and now its struggling to start or idle unless the cluth is down.

With the cluth up is blowing lots of black smoke and barley ticking over and with the cluth down the smoke goes away and the revs hold steady at around 1k.

As the engine warms it runs worse.

I've recently replaced the air and diesel filter and used injector cleaner and EGR valve cleaner.

Its done over 200 miles since the service with no problems and started suddenly smoking with these symptoms.

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it as I'm trying to fix it myself as i type you this message.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Clutch in engine runs cluth out engine dies

Postby FitnessBud » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

The day before its become really lumpy and smoking I've also used injector cleaner..
Has something become dislodged and stuck somewhere?
How likely would that cause the suction control valve to have something blocking it?
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FitnessBud » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm

OK a quick update..

It now wont start with the clutch pedal down unless some easystart spray is used.

With the clutch in once started it will idle with the cluth up but starts smoking around 2 minutes later, i then hold the revs with the accelerator and the smoke stops but once returned to idle it will tick over for around 2 minutes then a change is heard in the engine note and smoke comes out the exhaust.

If i hold down the clutch the revs either hold steady at 1k or surge up and down it's temperamental.

If i repeat the process of keep touching the accelerator the two minutes process repeats where it will idle ok for around two minutes and then starting smoking again.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FitnessBud » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Today I've changed the suction and pressure control valve and i still have the same problem its hard to start and will idle for around two minutes then start to smoke?

What happening after those two minutes that causes smoke?

Its a weird pattern how the smoke goes after some throttle is applied and then returns again after two minutes while the engine is at idle.

Someone please help.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 pm

blank egr valve
could be choking on its own shite
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 pm

FitnessBud wrote:Today I've changed the suction and pressure control valve and i still have the same problem its hard to start and will idle for around two minutes then start to smoke?

Did you do a full set of learns after fitting the new valves..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FitnessBud » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:27 pm

No i didn't what are learns? And how do i?

Today I've changed the airflow meter because the AA told me a code come up for it but its no different will only start with some easystart and now wont idle at all.

It does however stay running once its been started.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:30 pm

FitnessBud wrote:No i didn't what are learns? And how do i?

Today I've changed the airflow meter because the AA told me a code come up for it but its no different will only start with some easystart and now wont idle at all.

Sounds like you need your own Forscan and ELM-327. You can't just throw valves and other fuel sytem parts at the transits and expect it to run properly. The fuel system requires the system be calibrated to itself or it will never run properly. Your AA man should know this. Airflow meters or MAF's rarely fail.

Forscan will walk you throu the process of doing the learns. Do you still have the old valves..? Were the new ones genuine Ford/Denso items..?? If not you're wasting your time and money.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FitnessBud » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am

knobby1 wrote:
FitnessBud wrote:No i didn't what are learns? And how do i?

Sounds like you need your own Forscan and ELM-327. You can't just throw valves and other fuel sytem parts at the transits and expect it to run properly. The fuel system requires the system be calibrated to itself or it will never run properly. Your AA man should know this. Airflow meters or MAF's rarely fail.

Forscan will walk you throu the process of doing the learns. Do you still have the old valves..? Were the new ones genuine Ford/Denso items..?? If not you're wasting your time and money.

Lord Knobrot

I've still got the valves and i replaced them with genuine Denso valves.
I've now ordered a ELM 327 and it's arriving today so i will try the forscan.

When i plug in the ELM 327 and go to the forscan website will i have to choose a certain option or does it automatically do a scan?

I've replaced the SCV and PRV after reading how they can cause starting and idle issues but I'm still suspicious of the fuel cleaner I've added the day before the hard starting and idle issue.
It was definitely diesel fuel cleaner and if its not dislodged anything causing more of a blockage and problem is it still possible the forscan is needed because the fuelling is now different from the system being clean?

Thank you for your help i really appreciate it this transit is being used as a campervan and is all i have right now so I'm desperate to fix it.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:28 am

FitnessBud wrote:I've still got the valves and i replaced them with genuine Denso valves.

When i plug in the ELM 327 and go to the forscan website will i have to choose a certain option or does it automatically do a scan?

I've replaced the SCV and PRV after reading how they can cause starting and idle issues but I'm still suspicious of the fuel cleaner I've added the day before the hard starting and idle issue.
It was definitely diesel fuel cleaner and if its not dislodged anything causing more of a blockage and problem is it still possible the forscan is needed because the fuelling is now different from the system being clean?

Thank you for your help i really appreciate it this transit is being used as a campervan and is all i have right now so I'm desperate to fix it.

Forscan is best downloaded and used on a laptop via usb to the modified ELM-327....the bluetooth and WiFi units don't tend to work very well.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FitnessBud » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 am

knobby1 wrote:
FitnessBud wrote:I've still got the valves and i replaced them with genuine Denso valves.

Forscan is best downloaded and used on a laptop via usb to the modified ELM-327....the bluetooth and WiFi units don't tend to work very well.

Lord Knobrot

Yes I've order a cable one as i thought the bluetooth and wifi might cause problems.

As others have said the EGR valve could be faulty is there a way to manually close and disconnect it so it stays closed temporarily?

I've order a blanking plate and when i used EGR cleaner recently it did seem to stop the smoking after i applied it so i wonder how bad it is.
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 pm

FitnessBud wrote:Yes I've order a cable one as i thought the bluetooth and wifi might cause problems.

As others have said the EGR valve could be faulty is there a way to manually close and disconnect it so it stays closed temporarily?

I've order a blanking plate and when i used EGR cleaner recently it did seem to stop the smoking after i applied it so i wonder how bad it is.

If EGR is faulty it will throw a code. If you block it off, it will throw MAF, MAP and turbo over/underboost codes. Best to get it working correctly or have it mapped out completely.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FitnessBud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 pm

knobby1 wrote:
FitnessBud wrote:Yes I've order a cable one as i thought the bluetooth and wifi might cause problems.

If EGR is faulty it will throw a code. If you block it off, it will throw MAF, MAP and turbo over/underboost codes. Best to get it working correctly or have it mapped out completely.

Lord Knobrot

I'm trying to use forscan and can't connect to the obd protocol.

I'm told i should have a label saying if the vehicle is obd 2 compatible which i can't find

This is the second ELM 327 cable I've tried.

Would a 2010 model transit be compatible?
Am i missing something?
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:21 pm

FitnessBud wrote:I'm trying to use forscan and can't connect to the obd protocol.

I'm told i should have a label saying if the vehicle is obd 2 compatible which i can't find

Am i missing something?

Yes....2010 (Mk7) should be compatible. It's possible your OBD-II port is not well....

Does your interior light work..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FitnessBud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 pm

knobby1 wrote:
FitnessBud wrote:I'm trying to use forscan and can't connect to the obd protocol.

Am i missing something?

Yes....2010 (Mk7) should be compatible. It's possible your OBD-II port is not well....

Does your interior light work..??

Lord Knobrot

Ah no my interior light doesn't work..

It's connected?
FitnessBud
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits