*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 07 2.2 Power loss after gear change

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 07 2.2 Power loss after gear change

Postby ToGGoT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:41 am

2007 FWD, 2.2 SWB.

Had it about 3 months, few issues with ESP + Airbag lights which have been sorted. Reversing lights have now stopped, but got a bigger problem now.

Van drives fine, mostly pulls well, loaded and empty, no smoke usually. BUT, occasionally (Once every 20 mile trip or so), i'll change up a gear or push the throttle to accelerate, revs will hold, and there is no power at all. Even on the flat, foot to the floor vehicle speed stays contant but no RPM increase.

If I drop a cog, sometimes it clears with a cloud of smoke, sometimes the revs will stay flat for a more few seconds, then pick back up and will return to normal.

No DTCs or warning lights at all, I have Forscan and did a pilot learn last night which vastly improved the smoothness of the engine, but the power loss then happened twice on the drive in this morning.

I'm going to check and drain the fuel filter again later (There wasnt much in it when I did it about a month ago), but after that, thoughts?
ToGGoT

Re: Mk7 07 2.2 Power loss after gear change

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:21 am

Probably a sticky EGR valve....very common.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ToGGoT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 am

Ah, great - rebuildable on these? First Transit i've had, but getting used to van life...
ToGGoT

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 pm

ToGGoT wrote:Ah, great - rebuildable on these? First Transit i've had, but getting used to van life...

Rebuildable..?? Not really, they can be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt but that doesn't always mean they work correctly. Most just replace them. Some block them off or get them "mapped out", the problem with this is that it's an MOT fail in the UK and big fines may result....Luckily the 2.2 is easy to get at.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ToGGoT » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Doesnt seem to be EGR - or at least unplugging it once the engine is completely cold, and then running with it unplugged hasnt made a noticable difference to either running, or the issue. I'll probably have it off over the weekend and clean it out as best I can.

Oddly, ive realised that the issue seems to occur more often when i've been running downhill, then change onto the flat/uphill.

Any other thoughts?
ToGGoT

Postby Stumble » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Maybe the SCV is failing
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 pm

ToGGoT wrote:Doesnt seem to be EGR - or at least unplugging it once the engine is completely cold, and then running with it unplugged hasnt made a noticable difference to either running, or the issue. I'll probably have it off over the weekend and clean it out as best I can.

Oddly, ive realised that the issue seems to occur more often when i've been running downhill, then change onto the flat/uphill.

Any other thoughts?

Just because you unplug it, doesn't mean it's closed, could be stuck half open.

Unplugging it will normally throw a fault light/code.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits