*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Dura Torq 2.4 125 engine running rough

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Transit Dura Torq 2.4 125 engine running rough

Postby DrecklyDave » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi all, This is my first post, I have a lovely 2005 23,000 mile van, yes only 23,000 miles, converted to a camper. I have owned this van for two years and it has always started and run perfectly. But last weekend this came to an end I experienced loss of power and rough running above 2500 rpm. If I start the van it starts and ticks over perfectly, if I then push the revs up to 2500 all is smooth but above this it all turns bad, the engine runs very lumpy and sounds horrible with lots of white very diesely smelling smoke. I have had this analysed and the plug in device came up with map sensor failure, I purchased one of these (£89) and fitted it there was no difference! I then replaced the fuel filter,(which seemed pretty new) I filled this with injector cleaner and a little diesel and started the engine which seemed to run much better initially but soon reverted to rough running and smoking. Where do I go from here? possibly EGR valve off and clean, (do I need new gaskets to do this?) what do I clean it with?. Then I guess injectors, I have to add that when I manage to rev through the rough running at just over 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm all seems to go back to normal with smooth running and no smoke at and over 4,000 rpm. I am not a mechanic but just a "back street spanner man" with very little talent!! Please help, I'm sure someone else has experienced something similer to this. Dave.
DrecklyDave

Re: Transit Dura Torq 2.4 125 engine running rough

Postby DrecklyDave » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Re the above I have removed the EGR valve and cleaned it. Then replaced, if anything things seemed to be worse! I am now at the end of my knowledge regarding diesels, I have a mechanic coming this evening to try and read faults. Please help, :( :( Dave.
DrecklyDave

Postby rotory » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Possibly, it’s the timing solenoid on the rear of the pump. Boffins will be along shortly...

Martin
2004 Mk6 TDDi, 2.4l, 125bhp, WF0AXXTTFA4B01902
rotory
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:23 pm

A proper code read will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DrecklyDave » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 pm

It's the author of the above problem with the DURA TORQ engine, my mechanic friend came to look at the van tonight and was going to try to get a fault code off the van but failed to get a code because all three of his devices would not connect to the van. He then had a look anyway and soon discovered the turbo pipe into the manifold did not appear to be "inflating" as normal. So we took the pipe from the air box to the turbo to check the turbo was spinning and not too much wear, all seemed O.K. Whilst looking around the turbo he discovered the rod from the diaphragm next to the turbo which has a rod connected to a butterfly in the exhaust manifold, was not connected to the butterfly in fact it had broken off the lever attached to the butterfly. I have removed the diaphragm device and got it out, it came out with a pin attached by a sprung clip it looks like it was welded to the lever which operates the butterfly. What to do now is the problem! I don't really want to remove the manifold which looks like a lot of work, if I could somehow drill a hole in the lever I could put a pin through and fasten with a split pin. But how can I drill it without removing the manifold. Any ideas folks??
DrecklyDave

Postby DrecklyDave » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:29 am

I am now replying to my own questions. Hope this helps others with the same problem. I decided to remove the manifold, turbo and waste gate actuator etc which I did without any major problems. Having done this a mate helped me remove the old piece of broken pin from the waste gate lever and replace it with a cotter pin two washers and a split pin. Now all I had to do was replace everything! There were a few difficult bits, one of which was replacing the clamp to the EGR feed on the rear of the exhaust manifold.....tricky! but that done I ended up with the next to last job of re-connecting the waste gate to the actuator rod with my shiny new pin......... easy I thought but NOT!! it would seem the rod was not long enough. This is because the diaphragm tension holds the waist gate firmly closed when the engine is at rest to give the turbo max boost at low revs. The eventual answer to getting this all connected was to blag a compressor from my neighbour and squirting some air down the little pipe feeding the actuator to push the rod forwards to line things up to get the pin in so with one of us pushing air into the diaphragm and one locating the new pin all was again attached. The engine was started ans the problem was totaly fixed ...hooray! the engine revved smoothly with no smoke brilliant!! Brilliant that was until I spotted a huge oil slick under the van......ooops I had only put the turbo oil feed on hand tight! the engine was quickly switched off, amazing how much oil was lost...not even showing on the dip stick, I will not make that mistake again! I topped up with 5/30 and started again after tightening the oil feed pipe and the van drives really well. So in conclusion this is well worth a check if you engine is running with very reduced power and smoking like mine was. The engine now pulls like a train with no smoke. Thanks for the helpful remarks and hope this helps others with the same problem.
Dave.
DrecklyDave

Postby knobby1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:06 am

The reason the code readers don't work is because the Mk6 is not OBD-ll compliant, so any of the newer readers won't work. You need Forscan or Ford's lDS.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits