*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Reversing lights and sensor fault

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Reversing lights and sensor fault

Postby hugh_217 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:02 am

I have a 2004 Transit van. I recently purchased it and it had a wheelchair lift in the back that I didn’t need. I managed to find someone to buy it and he came and removed it himself. Unfortunately I couldn’t be there when he did and I since discovered that the reversing lamps, the reversing sensor and the audible reversing beep has stopped working. I swapped a fuse around and it didn’t make a difference.
Is there anything I can check before I take it to an auto electrician?? Any ideas?
hugh_217

Re: Reversing lights and sensor fault

Postby wojciech » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:24 pm

The original Mk6s have no reversing beep. The mechanic who removed the lift probably also took the reversing beep - disconnected the lights when disconnecting the wires. :evil:
The green / white reverse lamp wire from the gearbox sensor goes to the right hand lamp, there it branches green / orange to the right lamp and green / black to the left lamp. Unscrew the lamps and remove from the body. Check that the wire from the sensor is not disconnected. If a towbar is fitted it may be slightly different. But I doubt - if there is a lift, there is no towbar ...
If the wiring harness looks OK, check if the sensor is working properly. Disconnect the plug from the sensor, shorten its pins - reversing lights with the ignition on should be on. In FWD, the sensor is on the top of the gearbox next to the cable selector. On the RWD, the sensor is high on the left side of the gearbox.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits