*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Loss of wipers blower dash symbols & brake lights

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Loss of wipers blower dash symbols & brake lights

Postby Gehngus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi all.
Driving along the A55 last night and my wipers stopped mid flow. Also the blower.
I pulled over and checked fuses. No problem found. I did notice the dash symbols were also off. But when key in 2nd position they might flash briefly when a large enough truck went by to rock the van.
Also. If I keep turning the key back and forth they might flash.
They did come back on for a while then stopped again. So we abandoned our camping trip and made for home.
At the moment they are off but occasionally I might get a second of blower noise etc then off again .
When I turn the key to/from pos2 I always here the click from somewhere under the fuse box so assumed the ignition switch is switching?
I have checked wires. Wobbled and shaken Em. Nothing . Can't see anything obvious. Had rear lights interior lights off. Ignition unplugged and re pluged. No different.

I have searched the forum and found similar issues. One was a relay but no idea which. one was posibly ignition? So I have ordered a new barrel and connector anyway just in case.
Any advice would be great please.
Many thanks

2006 mk6 high top 2.4 turbo medium body 115 T350
2007 Transit minibus 2198cc 2.2dcti size of a t350 but can't work out the laden weight? Vehicle category m1
Gehngus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Loss of wipers blower dash symbols & brake lights

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Sounds like the ignition switch itself is faulty....very common issue. You don't need a new barrel, just the switch on the back of the barrel.

15 sheckles and 10 mins work should see you sorted.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gehngus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Many thanks.
Fingers crossed.
I'll look it up in Haynes so I'll know what to do.
2007 Transit minibus 2198cc 2.2dcti size of a t350 but can't work out the laden weight? Vehicle category m1
Gehngus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wojciech » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Gehngus wrote:When I turn the key to/from pos2 I always here the click from somewhere under the fuse box so assumed the ignition switch is switching?

If you hear a click every time, the key is probably working properly. But first check if clicks relay R13 or R1 or both. The R13 relay is the large relay on the top row, first from the right, in the engine compartment fuse box. R1 second row, first on left side, also the large one.
If click the R13:
The ignition switch actuates the relay R13 via fuse 205 in the box in the cab (in Haynes manual fuse F51). Since the relay works, the fuse is also ok. However, the current contacts of the relay may be damaged. These contacts support not only wipers, brake lights and fan, but also direction indicators, reversing lights, electric windows ...
But - an important note here - the ignition contacts and fuse 205 operate also the headlights, but without the use of the R13 relay. So if the headlights are working properly, and the devices connected to the R13 relay are not working, the relay (or its harness) is faulty.

If R13 does not work (click is only from R1) - it is a damaged ignition switch or fuse 205 (or wire harness).
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Gehngus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:37 pm

Changed the ignition switch and everything seems to be tickitaboo!

Will know for sure in a day or two.

Cheers everyone.
Gehngus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Gehngus » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Typically, it worked fine, then haven't used it in the rain etc, but the fan has been working ok. Now the wipers seem to be off again?

The only job I've done int the van since was to remove the rear NS cluster to clean the contacts due to Christmas tree effect when indicating.

Any other ideas? I'm clueless.
Gehngus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Gehngus wrote:Typically, it worked fine, then haven't used it in the rain etc, but the fan has been working ok. Now the wipers seem to be off again?

The only job I've done int the van since was to remove the rear NS cluster to clean the contacts due to Christmas tree effect when indicating.

Any other ideas? I'm clueless.

Poorly earths..?? There's a multitude of earths under the bonnet, behind the dash, by the drivers seat, tail lights etc...check them all.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gehngus » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Many thanks, I'll pass that message on to the new owner. I've sold it and now have a transit 2.2 dcti, which also has a few niggling problems which I'll deal with.
Cheers again
Gehngus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits