*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk gear box trouble

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk gear box trouble

Postby AK » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Ok here is the score, I run a 115ps 54 plate tranny luton, about 3 weeks ago it went into Ford for a gearbox repair under warranty.

The problem I have is it it went in due to whining in 5th gear, so at the same time I had a new clutch fitted (made sense) However 3 weeks after its whining again.

Am I right in thinking 5th gear is on its way out again? or am I to think maybe they didn't actually do the repairs they set out to do.

Obviously the truck is a work tool and I can;t afford for it to ne off the road.

What are my chances of getting Ford to replace the whole box instead of just trying to repair it poorly?
Andrew

59 plate merc splinter Luton, 56 plate 100 TDCI 350 Crew/Camper conversion
AK
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nighthawk » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:54 pm

The chances of getting them to replace a complete transmission is small

The repair must be considered uneconomical due to the cost, and sadly a repair to 5th isn't going to come close to that.

To get a repair near the cost of a exchange box, you'll need them to change the main shaft and 5th gear and and countershaft with new bearings to both shafts and 5th, or possibly a new casing due to a crack ;)

Not an easy one.
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits