*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bleeding the fuel system

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Bleeding the fuel system

Postby speedmunky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:47 am

2008 2.4 rwd

Hi all, so a long story short

Had starting issues with the van, had parts changed, think the problem got borrowed down to crank sensor that was rubbing on the flywheel ‘cause the bracket had snapped (still showed in sync with forscan though), brought the van home ‘cause the guy doing it wouldn’t change the bracket ‘cause of his bad back and it was on the floor, he put my original filter housing and a new filter back on (think it was empty ‘cause it was only 30 mins after he rang about the sensor that I picked it up) but the fuel pump has been changed as well and he’s tried new injectors in it as well so the whole system has been open, sorted the sensor and took it to a garage to have it bled and it’s been sat their outside for 5 week “waiting for the auto electrician to come”, they apparently looked at it for a few hour and suggested an AE would be better ‘cause they couldn’t find anything, he apparently spent a few hour n couldn’t find anything and was going to get a mate with ids to come look but never turned up, got given the keys with no payment asked for (seems odd if there’s work been done) so I don’t think it’s been looked at at all.

The guy said they’re a b*stard to bleed, so I’m wondering if someone could tell me the procedure for bleeding it from the tank to the injectors?
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Bleeding the fuel system

Postby andz327 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am

2008 is mk7 so they are self bleeding ,fill filter with diesel and turn the key
thats been well fooked about with cowboys, turning over and not starting could have been as simple as an ignition switch(£20 genuine ford) but think you may have more than one problem now with that messing about as injectors if not fitted in original positions will need to be reset with computer for a start
You'll need to see what fault codes its showing
Did the cramk sensor get replaced and not just the broken bracket????

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:41 am

What was the original problem??

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 pm

andz327 wrote:2008 is mk7 so they are self bleeding ,fill filter with diesel and turn the key
thats been well fooked about with cowboys, turning over and not starting could have been as simple as an ignition switch(£20 genuine ford) but think you may have more than one problem now with that messing about as injectors if not fitted in original positions will need to be reset with computer for a start
You'll need to see what fault codes its showing
Did the cramk sensor get replaced and not just the broken bracket????

ANDZ

The original problem was it was trying to cut out at idle at lights and literally it was fine one day then started doing that the next for about a week before I had time to do anything with it. But if you kept the revs up a tiny amount it was absolutely fine so ordered a scv, prv and sensor from tpuk which was f*** from the get go so sent them back and got some from a place a few people recommended, swapped them over and wouldn’t start, had to tow it to get it running but wouldn’t idle you had to keep revs on a little bit. Everything looked right on forscan with fuel pressure (was about +-5% from desired) there is no codes that come up apart from pump learn and pilot learn. I did try a key switch with the same effect. It cranked but when it should fire it just cut out the starter which I assume it does at a certain rpm for safety (it was reaching around 900rpm). Strange thing was once the temperature readings warmed up a little it would start to fire and you could get it running after about half hour of trying (had a new starter motor now though as you can probably guess why lol) and once it warmed up a little more it would idle perfect but after 5 minutes would do what it was doing before and the injection quantity on 3 of them made them out to be f*** from what a mechanic told me, had them tested and they were fine (1 was slightly over fueling but had it repaired) then it developed from there with pump and egr which was f*** when I got it 16 month prior then just before Christmas is when the broken bracket was discovered (which I think was me when I did the clutch) but that was 7 months before the problem and it’s never had any issues up until then but I did change the sensor with a new one
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Did all the learns go through ok ??

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:04 pm

andz327 wrote:Did all the learns go through ok ??

ANDZ

When I was able to get it started before I got fed up and passed it to someone else I managed to get a pump learn and on the pilot it went from 1-5 fine but then when it started the next step and soon as it started 1 it started doing it’s thing again then failed due to the rpm being out of range and at that point I’d only changed the egr, scv and prv. I tried the original parts and it did the same too I’ll post a link to what it was doing from YouTube
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby speedmunky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:08 pm

ANDZ

https://youtu.be/XcRkXlQXt84

This shows live data
https://youtu.be/R5uJe8-d5N4
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby speedmunky » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:56 pm

ANDZ

I’ve had some progress, it wasn’t getting any fuel pressure so swapped the scv for an old one and it still didn’t get much pressure, sprayed a little easy start and it fired up and ran and idled but I turned it off and it wouldn’t start on the key, sprayed a bit of easy start and it fired up and did the same but after a minute or so at idle it just cuts out and you have to spray it to start it up again. You can sit with revs on and it won’t die, there is slight fluctuations in fuel pressure every now and then and that’s making me think the suction valve is now the issue.

There is a few codes, pump learn, pilot learn, water in fuel, brake pads and now an egr p1409 code
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stumble » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:49 pm

What about the PRV ?
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby speedmunky » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Stumble wrote:What about the PRV ?

I think the prv is fine ‘cause it holds roughly the desired fuel pressure within about 5% but occasionally it’ll fluctuate to within around 20% for a moment then go back to with 5% of the desired fuel pressure
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 am

speedmunky wrote:

I think the prv is fine ‘cause it holds roughly the desired fuel pressure within about 5% but occasionally it’ll fluctuate to within around 20% for a moment then go back to with 5% of the desired fuel pressure
You said it wasn't getting pressure and could only start easy that could be prv causing that

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:01 am

andz327 wrote:
speedmunky wrote:

You said it wasn't getting pressure and could only start easy that could be prv causing that

ANDZ

See I could be wrong ‘cause it’s my first time doing this particular thing but I’ll change it today n see what happens, only reason I thought it’s fine is ‘cause I seen a few times on here people say pull the return pipe off the end and fuel will come out if it’s blown when you crank it n I did that with a jug under it and nothing came out of it
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stumble » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:32 am

:?
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:52 am

Going back to your flywheel sensor that you fitted ..... how'd you gap the air gap between sensor and flywheel

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 am

andz327 wrote:Going back to your flywheel sensor that you fitted ..... how'd you gap the air gap between sensor and flywheel

ANDZ

The new one had 4 little teeth things on the end and I’d lined up a tooth on the flywheel with the hole the sensor sits in. I did get a couple of videos yesterday of live date while it was running and when it cut out
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits