*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.2 tdci tec advice needed ... help!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2.2 tdci tec advice needed ... help!

Postby Hazchem69 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:36 am

Hi I'm new to this forum, hopefully someone has been through this dilemma before and can help.

My van is a 2010 2.2 tdci 140ps transit swb done 120k miles

Recently a tip measuring approx 5mm came off the end of one glow plug whilst engine running, only at idle, but still running.

I heard it clatter through the engine and out the turbo...

I've since replaced all glow plugs removed the injector to inspect for any damage as after the event the engine felt lumpy and lacked power.

I ran a system check on forscan result said

Code p024a cylinder 3 balance injector restricted

Code p2563 Turbo boost control actuator stuck open.

I've run a cylinder balance test on forscan

Results

Cyl 1 = -5.451mg
Cyl 2 = -4.442mg
Cyl 3 = 15.514mg
Cyl 4 = -5.600mg

Reading is high at number 3 cyl can anyone explain these results to me?
I'm assuming its high due to lack of compression, but unsure.

Now I've never had to deal with this issue before, is it likely the injector on cylinder 3 may have been hit by the debris and is faulty? Is it possible to reset it.
Or could there be more to it, like a bent or damaged exhaust valve.

I noticed the exhaust is smokey producing black smoke at idle.

Also the turbo wastegate is stuck (now freed off but not as loose as it should be)

I've replaced the injector seals made note of the injector code incase I need to recode after removal. But would like advice incase there's something I'm missing.
Hazchem69

Re: Mk7 2.2 tdci tec advice needed ... help!

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Hazchem69 wrote:Hi I'm new to this forum, hopefully someone has been through this dilemma before and can help.

My van is a 2010 2.2 tdci 140ps transit swb done 120k miles

Recently a tip measuring approx 5mm came off the end of one glow plug whilst engine running, only at idle, but still running.

I heard it clatter through the engine and out the turbo...

I've since replaced all glow plugs removed the injector to inspect for any damage as after the event the engine felt lumpy and lacked power.

I ran a system check on forscan result said

Code p024a cylinder 3 balance injector restricted

Code p2563 Turbo boost control actuator stuck open.

I've run a cylinder balance test on forscan

Results

Cyl 1 = -5.451mg
Cyl 2 = -4.442mg
Cyl 3 = 15.514mg
Cyl 4 = -5.600mg

Reading is high at number 3 cyl can anyone explain these results to me?
I'm assuming its high due to lack of compression, but unsure.

Now I've never had to deal with this issue before, is it likely the injector on cylinder 3 may have been hit by the debris and is faulty? Is it possible to reset it.
Or could there be more to it, like a bent or damaged exhaust valve.

I noticed the exhaust is smokey producing black smoke at idle.

Also the turbo wastegate is stuck (now freed off but not as loose as it should be)

I've replaced the injector seals made note of the injector code incase I need to recode after removal. But would like advice incase there's something I'm missing.

If the tip of the glow plug has fallen off, it's indeed possible the injector has been damaged, did you inspect it closely whilst you had it out?? Also...valves & valve seats can be damaged by the broken glow plug tip causing low compression on that cylinder. A compression test will give a good indication.

2.2 140 doesn't have a wastegate, they're a VNT type turbo.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Mk7 2.2 tdci tec advice needed ... help!

Postby Hazchem69 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:27 am

Issue solved

Following on from the glow plug damage. I decided to remove the cylinder head on inspection the head was pock marked but didn't appear to have any valve damage. Like wise the piston was marked and fortunately there was no cylinder scoring.

I had the cylinder head skimmed, re seated the valves and polished the piston crowns.

Whilst everything was apart I cleaned out the egr valve and cooler and the intake and exhaust manifold.

Once rebuilt the van started and ran fine. I didn't need to replace the injector only the damaged turbo. I ran the injector recalibration program on forscan and now its running lovely. I believe cleaner than before as I don't get any smoke under any driving conditions and the engine feels like its gained a little more power.

The cost in parts came to around £600 biggest outlay was the turbo at 400. Fortunately I didn't have any labour costs only my time...
Hazchem69

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits