*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Electrical problem, no dash lights, no start.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Electrical problem, no dash lights, no start.

Postby sixtwoeight » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Ive had an intermittant problem (until now).

Occansionally ive had no dash lights or gauges and no start, or if im already driving all dash lights and gauges will stop working.

Yesterday it wouldnt start ( wouldnt turn over at all and a dead dash).

I had a look at the battery earth by the step which looked crusty so removed it and cleaned it up and refitted. I reconnected the battery earth (on the battery) and now the alarm is constantly sounding, ive found the fuse for it and pulled it to give some peace. Im not sure if it is an immobiliser as well but in any case still no start and no dash.

Ive never had any issue with the alarm before so not sure what has happened by removing and cleaning the earth strap?

Its an aftermarket alarm - autowatch 375 clam. Firstly id like to remove it just in case its immobilising. Is it simply the case of tracing all wires back and removing them or am i being a bit naive??

I also checked battery voltage initially just in case that was an issue, the rear of the two batteries was 12.5v (i think, cant remember exactly), the front battery was only 11.5v, is that low enough to cause starting and dash problems??

Look forward to some help.

P.S ive called some auto electricians but to be honest i dont want to spend the sort of money they are asking, on the van, as its obviously not a garauntee they can find the issue or how long it would take them- if i cant sort it out i may break the van (im really hoping i can sort it though!!)
sixtwoeight
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Electrical problem, no dash lights, no start.

Postby sixtwoeight » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 pm

Ive googled the alarm and an immobiliser is an option so not sure if has one or not - so removing it would be a good start so i know it isnt causing an issue.
sixtwoeight
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm

sixtwoeight wrote: the front battery was only 11.5v, is that low enough to cause starting and dash problems??

There's your first suspect, if the voltage has dropped that low, then I would replace it. Another thing to try would be the ignition switch :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby sixtwoeight » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Altransit wrote:
sixtwoeight wrote: the front battery was only 11.5v, is that low enough to cause starting and dash problems??

There's your first suspect, if the voltage has dropped that low, then I would replace it. Another thing to try would be the ignition switch :idea:

Thanks for the reply.
I've replaced the ignition switch ( with a cheap one)
I've also tried jump starting, which has no effect so would this rule out a battery issue?
sixtwoeight
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sixtwoeight » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm

SORTED :D

Tried another known good battery on it and it made no difference, started looking in fuse boxes and noticed number 18 (ignition feed) fuse in the engine compartment wasnt the right type of fuse. Someone had connected 2 lengths of wire to enable a blade fuse to be used instead of the square type (dont know what they are called?), this connection was very loose - i can make the fault come and go as i wiggle the wires. PHEW!
sixtwoeight
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits