*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 axle swap????

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk6 axle swap????

Postby bj928 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm

knobby1 wrote:
bj928 wrote:other than the speedo being out, i don't think anything else will be affected, all 4 wheels still rotate at the same rate as each other as they are all in contact with the same road, just the engine revs lower because of the ratio change, ABS shouldn't be affected,

not sure how i get the speedo calibrated

Normally a Mk6 speedo is driven by a sensor in the gearbox, changing the diff ratio will screw around with the speedo. Not sure if the Mk6 has any options for this within IDS or Forscan, I suspect there must be as there are a few different diff ratios available.

Mk7 speedo signal is generated by the ABS sensors. Changing diff ratios will normally not affect the speedo...but the normal RPM vs road speed will be different, there's a section in Forscan and IDS to change the diff ratio if another is fitted. There's also a tyre size change option too. Some of the smaller FWD's had 15" wheels whereas the larger/heavier FWD & RWD's are normally 16" wheels.

Lord Knobrot

i have downloaded Forscan, had a free licence for a while, but that has now expired, i will renew it and see what i can find
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 am

knobby1 wrote:
bj928 wrote:other than the speedo being out, i don't think anything else will be affected, all 4 wheels still rotate at the same rate as each other as they are all in contact with the same road, just the engine revs lower because of the ratio change, ABS shouldn't be affected,

not sure how i get the speedo calibrated

Normally a Mk6 speedo is driven by a sensor in the gearbox, changing the diff ratio will screw around with the speedo. Not sure if the Mk6 has any options for this within IDS or Forscan, I suspect there must be as there are a few different diff ratios available.

Mk7 speedo signal is generated by the ABS sensors. Changing diff ratios will normally not affect the speedo...but the normal RPM vs road speed will be different, there's a section in Forscan and IDS to change the diff ratio if another is fitted. There's also a tyre size change option too. Some of the smaller FWD's had 15" wheels whereas the larger/heavier FWD & RWD's are normally 16" wheels.

Lord Knobrot

I had a hunt around when I did my Mk6 125 Jumbo and couldn't find a taller ratio pinnion than the 4.68(?) it had fitted, so took it to a place in London and had the speedo recalibrated.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Jim Archer wrote:I had a hunt around when I did my Mk6 125 Jumbo and couldn't find a taller ratio pinnion than the 4.68(?) it had fitted, so took it to a place in London and had the speedo recalibrated. Jim

Would be 4.63 Jim..!

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... 91cD09QzAx

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits