*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Another EGR fault tread

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Another EGR fault tread

Postby BMR AUTOMOTIVE » Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Hi we have a Mk6 350E RWD 2.4 chassis cab with a fault related to the EGR control, I have code read it and came up with P0404, P0403 and B1600. i cleared all but P0403 which is to do with the EGR valve control. Just to make sure i removed the EGR valve which wasnt too dirty and gave it a good clean out making sure the valve opened and closed under screwdriver pressure, refitted it , tried to clear the P0403 code and it wont clear, its still showing even without starting the engine which makes me think it could be a fault with the vacuum solenoid valve. Now my problem is i think this valve is supposed to be bolted to the rear of the radiator cowling on the passenger side and it isnt, the only valve there has a 8mm pipe running across to the air filter. Is this correct and does anyone else have any idea?
Thanks in advance, Brian.
BMR AUTOMOTIVE

Re: Another EGR fault tread

Postby wojciech » Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm

The vacu solenoid valve that controls the EGR valve has three ports.
Pipe connected to the middle port of the solenoid valve (no. 2), it is connected to the EGR valve actuator.
The external connector (no. 1) should be connected to the main vacu bus coming from the vacu pump.
The opposite stub (no. 3) is connected to the air filter housing.

Unfortunately, there are many different vacu solenoid valves and they may have a different terminal arrangement. In my Mk6 it is like the picture...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BMR AUTOMOTIVE » Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply wojciech that gives me a starting place, I have just ordered a used, tested and working vac solenoid. i will fit it plumb it in with new vac tube and try to find the electrical multiplug then scan and try to clear the P0403 code it has.
Cheers
BMR AUTOMOTIVE

Postby Jim Archer » Mon May 03, 2021 11:54 am

Sounds like a wiring issue. Have you checked the contacts of the sender - it just shows a open or closed to the ECU.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BMR AUTOMOTIVE » Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Jim we only just bought this truck to carry our drag race car, i will find a little more time to track down the vac control solenoid valve this week, i suspect the previous owner swapped over a few things without knowing what would happen. the only vac solenoid i can see is mounted on the rad shroud at the passenger side but it only has the larger air feed hose from the air filter fitted to the top, no wiring or other vac ports. the vac hose that should have been fitted to the EGR unit was not fitted or due to it being worn was loose and fell off the EGR valve. I removed, cleaned, refitted and tried to remove the codes, P0403 refuses to clear so i am going to have to track down the EGR vac solenoid valve check any wiring found and swap over the solenoid valve and fit new silicone vac tubing and see if anything improves.
Cheers
BMR AUTOMOTIVE

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Is it running ok, it may just be a rogue code, plenty of mk 6 running fine with that code :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BMR AUTOMOTIVE » Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 pm

I would leave it but but my glowplug warning lamp flashing at me all the time plays havoc with my automotive OCD
BMR AUTOMOTIVE

Postby BMR AUTOMOTIVE » Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 pm

RESULT ! I got hold of a used vac control valve, unbolted the old valve from the rad cowel someone had broken off the electrical connector block and both of the small hose connection stubs, the wiring had been tucked away with the other wiring to the passenger side headlamp complete with the broken off connector block which should have been part of the control valve, so i removed the piece of broken control valve from the electrical connector, clicked it onto the new valve, removed the vac pipe from the EGR valve and pushed it onto the lower connector then using some 3mm silicone tube connected the valve to the EGR valve. Then i ran a diagnostics check with my Launch Diagun and hey presto P0403 cleared. Started her up and no flashing lights.
Thanks guys for the help.
BMR AUTOMOTIVE

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits