*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Change in dual battery installation - LiFePO4

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Change in dual battery installation - LiFePO4

Postby KarelBART » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi all,
I have following idea and it looks like here is good place to get comments for it. I have Transit from 2012 where are 2 batteries under the driver seat, in seat fuse box is installed relay that connect them together.
As we are rebuilding the Transit to have it more as camper. We will use Indel refrigerator, Webasto independent heating, some plugs to charge phones/cameras, LED lights for interior and power invertor for charging Notebooks and running Nespresso at morning.
Plan is to install LionTron LiFePO4 100Ah battery instead of original Aux battery under the seat of driver (with some adaptation it will fit). I will connect all above listed equipment to LionTron and next to it I plan to connect most of original connections that are now on Aux battery to starter battery and some of them leave on the new LionTron. It will require some mechanical adaptation of fuse box in seat, but I have one spare. For charging the LionTron battery I plan to use:
A) Victron Energy Orion-Tr 12/12-30A SMART DC/DC nonisolated charger with Victron BlueSolar MPPT100/20 solar controller in parallel, plus Victron Blue SMART Charger IP65 12V 15A for charging when connected to mains.
B) Renogy DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER WITH MPPT (combinated DC-DC charger with MPPT solar controller) with BT module, plus Victron Blue SMART Charger IP65 12V 15A for charging when connected to mains.

Is that bad idea? Any comments? Any batter idea?

Thanks for comments and ideas.

Regards

Karel
KarelBART

Re: Change in dual battery installation - LiFePO4

Postby v8dave » Thu May 06, 2021 8:13 pm

The two batteries under the drivers seat are paired in parallel when the vehicle is started.

You should get a copy of the BEMM which is fords guide for aftermarket vehicle modifiers. It will tell you how the starting and charging systems on your van work.

I think you're better adding the LiFePO4 battery as a seperate unit somewhere in the rear of the van. On a camper unless you drive it every day the original twin battery setup is better left unmolested.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Change in dual battery installation - LiFePO4

Postby dumper » Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 pm

v8dave wrote:The two batteries under the drivers seat are paired in parallel when the vehicle is started.

You should get a copy of the BEMM which is fords guide for aftermarket vehicle modifiers. It will tell you how the starting and charging systems on your van work.

I think you're better adding the LiFePO4 battery as a seperate unit somewhere in the rear of the van. On a camper unless you drive it every day the original twin battery setup is better left unmolested.

X2
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits