*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Misfire and breathing heavily

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Misfire and breathing heavily

Postby jamesb1989 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Hello everyone, im quite a new transit owner and was looking for some advice from people more familiar with these engines so here it goes.

I have a 2007 Transit 2.2 Fwd 85PS with 120K on the clock.

Until recently its been running fine, then starting blowing Blue/White smoke whilst driving. When sat still and engine revved high the smoke was black and leaving soot on the floor. But no loss of power evident.

On investigation I found oil in the intake pipes also a lot of oil and mess over the rocker cover and around injectors. I found the engine breathing heavily and smoking through the oil filler cap.

I straight away suspected the injector washers allowing combustion gasses past and causing excess crankcase pressure and breathing oil into intake pipe. So stripped out injectors, cleaned injectors, prepared all holes with injector seat cutter. Refitted injectors with new washers, rocker cover seals, new clamps and bolts torqued to 6nm +180 degress. Then removed intake hoses and intercooler and cleaned all out with brake cleaner. Re-assembled and run the engine.

The heavy breathing was still present. But less smoke, I then took her for a drive. It all was going well for 5-6 miles and then lost power and heard some unpleasant noises and then running on 3 cylinders. and smoking from exhaust. I managed to limp it home and had another look.

Oil present in turbo to intercooler hose but no oil present between intercooler and inlet manifold.

With engine running i unplugged injectors one by one to try and pinpoint which cylinder at fault. unplugging no 3 injector made no difference to the running of the engine, switch no3 injector with no4 cylinder and retested. Unplugging no 3 is still making no difference to the running of engine so proves that the injector isnt to blame.

Im thinking it can only be something internal on no 3 cylinder at fault. My money is on faulty rings or a cracked piston as this would also explain the heavy breathing.

What are your thoughts please?

Thank you

James
jamesb1989

Re: Misfire and breathing heavily

Postby knobby1 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 pm

You may be correct with the piston.

You also can't just swap injectors from one cylinder to another as they're coded in the PCM.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jamesb1989 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Yes i strongly believe its the piston at fault.

I cant see what else would be making it breathe so heavily.
jamesb1989

Postby jamesb1989 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:52 pm

I was aware that their individually coded, but they will still spray and allow the engine to run to carry out the checks to see if the fault moves when installed in another cylinder?
jamesb1989

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits