*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Intermittent Reverse Light

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Intermittent Reverse Light

Postby STEVE P » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:39 pm

These reverse switches are rubbish, I had a new one fitted while my van was under warranty and that lasted another 5 years, I went to get another one and it had been superseded by an updated version. That one has now started playing up.

3 switches in 107k miles is rubbish in my view.

Steve
STEVE P
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby PWRR-TRANSIT » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Op what van have you got, is it the one in your signature if so you are leading the responders on a merry dance :roll: If its a mk 7 there can be 3 different switches :wink:

Don't suppose you have a link or pic to their location do you mate? Not entirely sure what i'm meant to be locking at when i get under there. Thanks.

PWRR
2007 2.4L RWD 350 MWB SEMI HIGH TOP LOVE MACHINE.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
PWRR-TRANSIT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PWRR-TRANSIT » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:45 pm

STEVE P wrote:These reverse switches are rubbish, I had a new one fitted while my van was under warranty and that lasted another 5 years, I went to get another one and it had been superseded by an updated version. That one has now started playing up.

Steve

That doesn't sound good. Are they easy to spot and easy to swap over? I've never stuck my head under there. Will have a look when it stops raining. Tomorrow hopefully.

PWRR

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
PWRR-TRANSIT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:27 pm

STEVE P wrote:These reverse switches are rubbish, I had a new one fitted while my van was under warranty and that lasted another 5 years, I went to get another one and it had been superseded by an updated version. That one has now started playing up.

Steve

Yet strangely, I've never had to replace one in any vehicle that I've owned, including quite a few Transits. Luck of the draw I guess.
My pet hates are starter motors, I've replaced loads of those :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 pm

PWRR-TRANSIT wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote:Op what van have you got, is it the one in your signature if so you are leading the responders on a merry dance :roll: If its a mk 7 there can be 3 different switches :wink:

Don't suppose you have a link or pic to their location do you mate? Not entirely sure what i'm meant to be locking at when i get under there. Thanks.

PWRR

Both the 5 and 6 speed reverse light switches are at the top left rear of the gearbox.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:54 pm

knobby1 wrote:
PWRR-TRANSIT wrote:

PWRR

Both the 5 and 6 speed reverse light switches are at the top left rear of the gearbox.

Lord Knobrot

5 speed switch is not at rear but above the slave cyl nearer the front
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnpietila » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 am

My reverse lights failed and the problem was the switch SO Difficult to access but when replaced, all OK
John Pietila
johnpietila
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PWRR-TRANSIT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm

A quick update.....

I replaced my Amazon reverse parking sensor box in one of the rear light clusters with another cheap Amazon one and it all seems to work fine now. Every time i put it in reverse the reverse light comes on and the parking sensors engage each time. I think in my case the combination of a new reverse parking brain box and taking the plug off and cleaning and making sure all the wires were seated and grounded properly etc fixed the job. Touch wood.

Thanks again guys.

PWRR

PWRR-TRANSIT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gregw_aus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:36 am

I have a 2007 VJ series Transit with 5 speed Auto select manual gearbox. The reversing lights don’t work although the globes are ok. Could someone please confirm the reversing switch is at the top rear of the gearbox on this model? It’s not an easy place to get to. Please advise wire colours too if you know them.
Thanks,
Greg
gregw_aus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby gregw_aus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 am

I found this info elsewhere which makes it clear for the VJ ASM gearbox:
The reversing light circuit is controlled by a plunger-type switch screwed into the upper left-hand side of the transmission casing.

Picture attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gregw_aus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits