*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New engine. Could it pay off?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

New engine. Could it pay off?

Postby Flywheel » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Hello fellow Transit lovers, here is hoping that your motoring miles are passing swiftly and pleasantly, unlike mine - which came to a very abrupt stop a few days ago. :(

The short of it is my engine is kaput. It would appear that an injector failed and overdosed the cylinder with diesel and when the piston rushed up to meet said diesel something had to give. The injector was discovered and replaced but the engine knocks quite badly and will only run for a few minutes, then just to cut out and fail to restart as soon as it’s warmed up.

So the question becomes what to do now…

My Transit is a 2.4l RWD TDCi with 90k on the clock. It’s in really nice condition due to it being an import so there is no rust! So aside from being a bit dated I had every intention of running around in this vehicle for years to come.

So a reconditioned engine swap is on the cards and I was ok with that but now my big ol’ brain has gotten going I’m not sure.
It seems for £2k (excl fitting) I can have a recon with all of the uncertainty that comes with it and my van will be on the road again, for now.
However, would you put a recon engine in a ‘new’ van?

If I have a newish body and I pop in a brand new engine do I not have a new van for a fraction of what they cost when new?
Is £5k on a brand new engine really that bad?
If the latest fleet of vans are all rubbish is a new-old van better?

I often find myself holding an old thing saying “if I could buy this new for the same price as the new rubbish they sell now I’d buy two of them!”

What am I missing here….?
Flywheel

Re: New engine. Could it pay off?

Postby Flywheel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:17 pm

New engine is fitted.
Flywheel

Postby dumper » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm

Yes I prefer a mk 6 to my mk8 for been more simple but for driving the mk8 is better but with your van been rust free I’d do as you have done and fit a new engine all you need to do now is waxoil it to stop the rust before it gets a chance to start good luck.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Flywheel » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:14 pm

dumper wrote:Yes I prefer a mk 6 to my mk8 for been more simple but for driving the mk8 is better but with your van been rust free I’d do as you have done and fit a new engine all you need to do now is waxoil it to stop the rust before it gets a chance to start good luck.

Well I’m a little relieved to hear at least one other person can see some merit in my decision. Thank you for your reply.
One day I will have to take a spin in a newer mk8, let’s hope that doesn’t rattle my attachment to my mk7!
Flywheel

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits