*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2007 ex power network break van questions and diff prob

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2007 ex power network break van questions and diff prob

Postby Stephend161 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello fellow owners.
Ford transit lwb high top rwd mk7
I am looking at buying another transit van but have a few questions about one I’ve seen so here goes.

So the van is ex power network van the back has been kitted out what looks like professionally as a break van so has toilet shelving twin windows some electrical panel and a microwave and extra seats.
The van has done 206k miles the mots only show one problem with a sill in 2017 but nothing thereafter for sills and just general silly things their after.
The owner has said the van has a noisy rear diff so im wondering

Is a Noisy rear diff an expensive job or can i just swap the axle for a used good item im capable of swapping a rear diff myself… what are your views here?

Is 206 miles high…the engine does sound good starts straight away but i will be plugging forscan in for a look (any tips on what i could check in forscan to see engine health)

Has anyone ever bought an ex power network break van (i think they are known as welfare vans) do they insulate them are they of good quality and considered potentially a good choice..any info on this would be apprichiated.

My plan with the van is to have half converted to a basic camper and the rear to hold a few motorbikes..
So weighing up my odds would it be better to pick this van with the back already converted as that will save me lots of money with insulating running electrics and other camper type bits and get the diff fixed or go for a van that doesn't have a diff problem and then have to spend out on insulating and doing electrics and do all the camper related stuff in the back..

Also the logbook classes it as a panel van is that the right classification of this type of van when the rear has been converted
Thanks for your time sorry for the long post and i hope it makes sense.

Thanks all
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 2007 ex power network break van questions and diff prob

Postby andz327 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 pm

3 motorcycles wont leave much room in a lwb transit, even if it's crossers
Do the rear seats have seat belts?

Change the diff

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm

So the van currently has no bulkhead behind main cab seats but does have one built further down the van towards the rear doors as this is where the small toilet cubicle is.
I was going to remove this bulkhead so the back is fully open from cab to back doors.
And Have some seating (there is currently a seat bolted to the floor when you open side door this seat faces the back of the van.)

Bike wise it would be one maybe two max and if that means a wheel comes into the camper type area then so be it its not the end of the world..
Also the seat that is currently in the rear does have a seatbelt..

I was looking for either a xlwb iveco daily or a jumbo ford transit but they are a tad hard to come by for my money.
I have seen a lot of lwb transits but this one seems like it may be a make do solution but only because it has the rear set up i can pop up some pics if it would help.

As for rear diff i am happy to change over the axle but are they expensive?
Or can i just literally swap out the diff with not to much hassle? Dont diffs have to be set up?
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Stephend161 wrote:As for rear diff i am happy to change over the axle but are they expensive?
Or can i just literally swap out the diff with not to much hassle? Dont diffs have to be set up?

Just swap out the complete axle assembly...much easier than fiddling with diff gears etc...

Also be aware there are 9 different final drive ratios available....which are you after..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks for the reply..
I am happy to swap over a complete axle its not the hardest job to do.
As for which final drive i need i am not to sure at the moment as ive not looked but apparently its a 5 speed box if that helps.
Am i limited to one diff ratio or will a few different ratios be compatible and does that change things price wise a lot?
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:47 am

Stephend161 wrote:Thanks for the reply..
As for which final drive i need i am not to sure at the moment as ive not looked but apparently its a 5 speed box if that helps.
Am i limited to one diff ratio or will a few different ratios be compatible and does that change things price wise a lot?

For the RWD's there are 9 ratios avalable...obviously the more power you have the lower the ratio you can get away with.

5 or 6 speed gearbox makes no difference to the rear axle.

Best to find out what you have first I guess.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 am

knobby1 wrote:
Stephend161 wrote:Thanks for the reply..

For the RWD's there are 9 ratios avalable...obviously the more power you have the lower the ratio you can get away with.

5 or 6 speed gearbox makes no difference to the rear axle.

Best to find out what you have first I guess.

Lord Knobrot

Fair enough.. ok so this is the information i have just pulled from ford if this is the info thats needed

Transit Duratorq TDCI 2.4 (100PS),
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:09 pm

5 speed box makes a difference as to how tall 1st gear is.

I have 2 6sp 140s, a MWB with 4.27 that will happily take off in 2nd - 1st is next to redundant, and a Jumbo with 3.73, 2nd requires a bit of gentle clutch slip, 1st still a bit short. Previous van was a Mk6 5sp Jumbo with 4.63, with a full load it wanted a bit of care with the clutch engagement, the 4.27 Mk7 axle swap meant a full load wanted deft slipping on the flat, let alone hill starts.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Stephend161 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Jim Archer wrote:5 speed box makes a difference as to how tall 1st gear is.

I have 2 6sp 140s, a MWB with 4.27 that will happily take off in 2nd - 1st is next to redundant, and a Jumbo with 3.73, 2nd requires a bit of gentle clutch slip, 1st still a bit short. Previous van was a Mk6 5sp Jumbo with 4.63, with a full load it wanted a bit of care with the clutch engagement, the 4.27 Mk7 axle swap meant a full load wanted deft slipping on the flat, let alone hill starts.

Jim

Thanks for the reply jim

Thats gone a tad over my head though…

What does this mean for my van..

Am i going to have a problem finding an adequate axle for my needs ?

The van will never carry huge loads just a small simple camper conversion front end of rear and then maybe the odd motorbike or two squeezed in the rear of the van at a push..

When it comes to performance ideally i just want something that will be more economical and easy pulling power and speed im not fussed about.

I do like the idea of a 6 speed box but that is expensive along with an axle and bits to match sadly
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Stephend161 wrote:
Thanks for the reply jim

The van will never carry huge loads just a small simple camper conversion front end of rear and then maybe the odd motorbike or two squeezed in the rear of the van at a push..

When it comes to performance ideally i just want something that will be more economical and easy pulling power and speed im not fussed about.

I do like the idea of a 6 speed box but that is expensive along with an axle and bits to match sadly

What Jim said...

If you can get a 4.27...it makes a good "all-rounder". Not too bad for pulling/towing and not silly rpms at motorway speeds.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:19 am

knobby1 wrote:
Stephend161 wrote:
Thanks for the reply jim

What Jim said...

If you can get a 4.27...it makes a good "all-rounder". Not too bad for pulling/towing and not silly rpms at motorway speeds.

Lord Knobrot

Ok brilliant so how do i know what axle has what ratio diff for my needs.
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:41 am

Stephend161 wrote:Ok brilliant so how do i know what axle has what ratio diff for my needs.

They often have a metal tag on one of the cover bolts with the ratio stamped on it....not always though.

Ford ETIS will tell you what it had when it left the factory.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Your weight will depend on what the camper build and bike weights are.

Day van is going to be lighter than bed&toilet type, but still surprisingly heavy, pop round to your local weighbridge before you start, a welfare kit out is going to be somewhere close.

My Jumbo is just a basic insulated and ply lining job, as depending on how many bikes are in there, there's usually room for a double air mattress etc. Dirtbikes are in the 100-110Kg mark, so by the time there's 6 in there, plus riding kit and luggage for a weeks French/Spainish/Romanian trailriding and 3 up in the cab, it's not too bad. 4 fat 4 stroke road bikes, and it's getting near the limit.

I'll have a 4.27 Mk7 single wheel axle spare in a few weeks, just need to get round to putting the Jumbos 3.73 under the MWB as that drives around empty most of the time, and it's like driving a micro hot hatch :lol:

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Stephend161 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:35 am

Jim Archer wrote:Your weight will depend on what the camper build and bike weights are.

Day van is going to be lighter than bed&toilet type, but still surprisingly heavy, pop round to your local weighbridge before you start, a welfare kit out is going to be somewhere close.

My Jumbo is just a basic insulated and ply lining job, as depending on how many bikes are in there, there's usually room for a double air mattress etc. Dirtbikes are in the 100-110Kg mark, so by the time there's 6 in there, plus riding kit and luggage for a weeks French/Spainish/Romanian trailriding and 3 up in the cab, it's not too bad. 4 fat 4 stroke road bikes, and it's getting near the limit.

I'll have a 4.27 Mk7 single wheel axle spare in a few weeks, just need to get round to putting the Jumbos 3.73 under the MWB as that drives around empty most of the time, and it's like driving a micro hot hatch :lol:

Jim

Thanks for that..
A jumbo is exactly what i am looking for but having problems finding one thats not beaten to hell stupidly high miles or lots of money.

However your set up above sounds like you would be doing more than i am..
Will be one/two bikes max me and the gf and thats it so the camper side of things would be simple..

I have since decided not to go for the van that i created this post for as it just had to may coms compared to pros for its price..
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits