*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit 2008 2.4 has been sat for a while

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Ford transit 2008 2.4 has been sat for a while

Postby Stephend161 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 pm

Hello fellow transit owners and sorry this is a bit of a long post…
Ford transit mk7 lwb ht rwd 115ps 2.4 2008

So i recently bought an ex utility van that had been sat for about a year and a half unused ( apparently due to covid )
The van has a fresh mot and does seem to run nicely.
The van has done 114k odd miles and was last Serviced at 100k miles but this was before covid hit (it then covered about 14k miles before being parked up due to covid) so the van has not been serviced in almost two years due to covid.

So what i want to know is apart from your general service which i will be giving the van what else can i do to the engine to try limit any problems down the line.

I am planning on giving it a fresh service with original parts… (should i do an engine flush also before new oil) i was even considering an engine flush then running on a cheap oil for a week to really clear things out then another oil change with good stuff would that be a good idea or over the top?

I am also considering removing intake manifold to clean and de gunk it all (done this on my mk6 few years ago and wow what a difference it made) as well as an egr blank..(is an egr blank easy to do with mk7 or dose it need to be switched off via a remap? As i dont want any eml lights on)

I will also be doing some seals like intake seals and exhaust seals (depending on how easy i can get the exhaust bolts off )

Im thinking i will need to service the turbo too (apparently you can just buy a replacement cartridge for a turbo i think?) any one know?

I am wondering about the timing chain. Ive heard that they last for a long time with good maintenance so im wondering should i at least change the tensioner and guides as id not want my engine to skip a few teeth and give me problems..

Any tips tricks or hints would be helpful or if you know of anything else i can check and consider please let me know..

Thanks all
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Ford transit 2008 2.4 has been sat for a while

Postby dumper » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:06 pm

When I built my mk6 camper it had 109000 miles and had a slight rattle from the chain for only a split second and would have lasted a lot of miles before it really needed doing but with all the work to covert it I fitted a chain kit didn’t want to take any chances looking at your other post the inlet maybe more gummed up then a van that only did road mileage the engine may have done more work then the mileage suggests .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 pm

dumper wrote:When I built my mk6 camper it had 109000 miles and had a slight rattle from the chain for only a split second and would have lasted a lot of miles before it really needed doing but with all the work to covert it I fitted a chain kit didn’t want to take any chances looking at your other post the inlet maybe more gummed up then a van that only did road mileage the engine may have done more work then the mileage suggests .

Yes this was one of my concerns with the van doing more work than its mileage shows so i agree with you there although i know the PTO side of things using the engine to run would be at low revs and the van is also limited to 70mph so i was trying to use that to reassure myself that its had not the hardest life and i also spoke to a mechanic and he said the same thing that although the engine would have been running a lot to run the PTO units the engine would
Have only been on tock over with a small rpm increase to operate the PTO..
The mots are all really good never seen so many greens on a transits mot life lol
The van was ex Cardiff council then it went to a utility water company so i have no idea at what stage it was converted for the utility company and no idea how much of its life it was used with the water company with the PTO units
So i take it your suggesting i might as well do the chain to be safe and yes i suppose i should.. i am happy to do the chain but ive only done cam changes on cars and although its all the same the transit engine just looks really involved lol a bit intimidating..

I definitely will be clearing out that inlet manifold that goes without saying..
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boltrounder » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:39 pm

When I cleaned my transit manifold I was literally using a spoon and two cans of brake cleaner to get the filth out, one thing I’m going to do to mine next Is flush the coolant.

I’ve heard mixed reviews about engine flushes, but on my van and car I just changed it every 5000.

Turbos seem to let you know when they are on their way out, so I would just leave it, but maybe stuff like the suspension could do with a refresh at that mileage so might be worth checking the condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stephend161 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 pm

Boltrounder wrote:When I cleaned my transit manifold I was literally using a spoon and two cans of brake cleaner to get the filth out, one thing I’m going to do to mine next Is flush the coolant.

I’ve heard mixed reviews about engine flushes, but on my van and car I just changed it every 5000.

Turbos seem to let you know when they are on their way out, so I would just leave it, but maybe stuff like the suspension could do with a refresh at that mileage so might be worth checking the condition.

God ye tell me about it.. when i cleaned out my mk6 manifold i had a huge bucket full of degreaser stuff forget what its called orange tin from halfords works wonders anyways the water was a solid dense black and i remember showing the guy who i bought the van off of the tennis's ball sized amount of sludge i squished together with my hands and us both being shocked lol.

I have also heard mixed on engine flushes and havent made my mind up on weather its good or not..
What about the idea of doing an oil change with cheap oil to flush things out then a proper decent oil change say a week later?

Coolant flush ofcorse that one skipped my mind that will go on the list..along with g box and diff oils

The mechanic i was chatting with did have a quick look at the engine and said the turbo looked dry in the sense of no leaking oil or anything from the turbo or around it in that general area was all nice and dry looking but on that note what would a turbos sign be when “it will let me know” the van pulls great so boost seems to not be an issue for now the engine does not smoke at all even on start up.

So suspension… what exactly should i check? Mot had no advisories for anything sus related but what would you say to check.. bushes?
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boltrounder » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 pm

I did the cheap oil last year for a week on my alfa then put in fuchs oil, I’m not sure if it made much difference as diesel oil goes black pretty quick but I had it lying around so I thought I would try it.

On my van since I had it in 2 and half years

Fuel metering valve
Both rear callipers
Fitted cruise
Changed headlights for hids and sides for led
Fitted new hub knuckles as rusty and all bolts seized.
New wheel bearings, drop links, ball joints, track ends and front disks.

Diff oil

Gear box oil

Power steering oil

Soldered the boost wire back onto the boost sensor as broke and when into limp mode.

New hand brake cable.

Underseal the van

And had the sils rapture painted and fitted grip tape on the sills by the cab doors.

Next thing I’ve got the parts but haven’t got around to is the front shocks and springs, mainly because they are really rusty and I like to learn how to do new things.

I find parts in motion really good site and auto doc app.

Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Boltrounder » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 pm

On my work tranny when the turbo starting packing in the van would go in to limp mode on a hill and was generally bad on fuel and really smoky.

But some of the vans have done 180,000 and are original turbos and other needed New turbo at 100,000 so it’s impossible to say how long they last.

Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stephend161 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:58 pm

Boltrounder wrote:I did the cheap oil last year for a week on my alfa then put in fuchs oil, I’m not sure if it made much difference as diesel oil goes black pretty quick but I had it lying around so I thought I would try it.

On my van since I had it in 2 and half years

Fuel metering valve
Both rear callipers
Fitted cruise
Changed headlights for hids and sides for led
Fitted new hub knuckles as rusty and all bolts seized.
New wheel bearings, drop links, ball joints, track ends and front disks.

Diff oil

Gear box oil

Power steering oil

Soldered the boost wire back onto the boost sensor as broke and when into limp mode.

New hand brake cable.

Underseal the van

And had the sils rapture painted and fitted grip tape on the sills by the cab doors.

Next thing I’ve got the parts but haven’t got around to is the front shocks and springs, mainly because they are really rusty and I like to learn how to do new things.

I find parts in motion really good site and auto doc app.

Yes i think what im going to do is cheap oil as i really want to flush this engine out.. the van has been stood for so long and had not had a service before that..
Infact from its last mot exp 15 sep 2019 to its most recent one which was done in may this year the van has only done 430 miles….. shocking eight. So i think cheap oil for a flush out then some proper oil after..

Also interesting i would like to fit cruse control at some point in the future (not highest on the list of priorities at the mo) but is it hard/expensive to do?

Diff oil gbox oil i will be doing asap too.. i usually use comma oil in gbox and diff is this one recommended for my transit if so what ones should i use.

Power steering and brake fluid i will do later but focusing on engine bits at the moment.

As for parts im fairly lucky i have a friend who works in auto parts shop soo i can get a good staff discount on stuff..
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stephend161 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 pm

Boltrounder wrote:On my work tranny when the turbo starting packing in the van would go in to limp mode on a hill and was generally bad on fuel and really smoky.

But some of the vans have done 180,000 and are original turbos and other needed New turbo at 100,000 so it’s impossible to say how long they last.

Luckily the van does not smoke does not go into limp mode and seems to pull like a train so fingers crossed it stays that way lol
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boltrounder » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:34 am

I used this oil for the diff

Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Boltrounder » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:38 am

Cruise control, I had to buy a transit steering wheel with cruise buttons on it, then run 2 wires from the bcm, then I took a drive down to van tuner which was London way and he activated on his lap top, one of the members on here helped me out and found me a steering wheel for sale on face book.

Think I only paid £50 for it and then I paid £40 to get the leather recoated.

Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stephend161 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:09 am

Boltrounder wrote:Cruise control, I had to buy a transit steering wheel with cruise buttons on it, then run 2 wires from the bcm, then I took a drive down to van tuner which was London way and he activated on his lap top, one of the members on here helped me out and found me a steering wheel for sale on face book.

Think I only paid £50 for it and then I paid £40 to get the leather recoated.

Is that seriously how simple adding cc is?
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Stephend161 wrote:

Cost me £60
£35 for a good Cmax wheel & £25 for a high spec BCM from scrappies, added two wires as per loots "factory cruise" thread, programmed BCM and keys then activated it myself.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stephend161 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Airthies wrote:
Stephend161 wrote:

Cost me £60
£35 for a good Cmax wheel & £25 for a high spec BCM from scrappies, added two wires as per loots "factory cruise" thread, programmed BCM and keys then activated it myself.

Nice i like the sound of that.. i do need to replace the steering wheel as mine is seriously discoloured nd its driving me nuts..
So i can use a cmax wheel and airbag as long as it has the controlls?
I might as well but a cc enabled steering wheel now so its there ready for hookup..
With the steering wheel will it be a straight swap and the airbag ? Do i need to use the transit airbag instead of the cmax one as id expect they are set up different??
Stephend161
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 pm

No your best to get a wheel with an airbag. The STD and CC wheels I've dealt with all have had different airbags.

2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits