*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Central Locking Woes

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Central Locking Woes

Postby SirDread » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:15 am

While we were out last night the central locking started to play up. Van is a 2001 Mk6. Central locking locks all doors as soon as I press the button on the fob, then immediately unlocks them again. I have tried the following.

Cleaned side door contacts
Disconnected Grey plug on rear doors
Checked the operation of the plunger under the bonnet and on the drivers door

I have landed up taking the fuse out and manually locking the doors but wondered if anyone else has any ideas on what I could check further ?

P.S. Would the plunger operation on the bonnet catch impact the central locking working ???
SirDread
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Central Locking Woes

Postby mrbass » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:03 am

i have known this to happen on a car and it was that. get a price new before you fall over. as they can be pricey. i had a shock when me m8 got one.you could borrow one and try it first to see if it sovles it before you buy.
I can make a trailer out of that!!
mrbass
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SirDread » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 am

mrbass wrote:i have known this to happen on a car and it was that. get a price new before you fall over. as they can be pricey. i had a shock when me m8 got one.you could borrow one and try it first to see if it sovles it before you buy.

Can the bonnet plunger be disabled for testing ?
SirDread
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mrbass » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm

i dont know but you could take it off and if you put a 12volt bulb inline and put the switch on it to see if it works. to do this you need a 12v buld and a wire to the battery to the bottom of the bulb and the other wire from the - side of the battery to the switch on one of the pins and another wire of the other pin of the switch to the bulb if you push switch up and down the bulb will go on and off when the switch is pushed if this happens then the switch is ok
mrbass
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mrbass » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 pm

i hope this helps 8)
mrbass
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Azer van man » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm

When you open your back doors check that the plastic sleeve/tube that carry all the wiring is not damaged if this kinks it will trap the wires inside causing them to break thus losing continuity,I had this problem with my Mk6 and my Mk7,its worth a try,Good luck :wink:
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby motorwise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Azer van man wrote:When you open your back doors check that the plastic sleeve/tube that carry all the wiring is not damaged if this kinks it will trap the wires inside causing them to break thus losing continuity,I had this problem with my Mk6 and my Mk7,its worth a try,Good luck :wink:

this is also a common scumbags breaking in point - if it has been cut repair it then buy and fit a shield - your ford agent will have or be able to get this for you (finis number 1325570 £16.14 + VAT)
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby SirDread » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Azer van man wrote:When you open your back doors check that the plastic sleeve/tube that carry all the wiring is not damaged if this kinks it will trap the wires inside causing them to break thus losing continuity,I had this problem with my Mk6 and my Mk7,its worth a try,Good luck :wink:

I think this is where the problem is (gut feeling) we were using those doors in and out of the van last night and it was after this that the problem started. I disconnected the grey plug tho behind the rear lights which I understood disabled that area ???
SirDread
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby hotrod_boogie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am

i had the same problem with my mk6, i tried everything i could think of then got fed up and put it in fords, it turned out to be the actuator that does the central locking, cost me over £200!! :x :( :shock:
MK6 T280 100hp SWB L/Roof in college blue 02 plate 6 seat and window conversion
hotrod_boogie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits