*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Finally, It Happened To Me - Won't start/ non-starter

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Finally, It Happened To Me - Won't start/ non-starter

Postby Altransit » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 am

DG-Unit wrote:I want a dirty new turbo @

I've split the thread as it kinda went off topic :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=209909
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Altransit wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:I want a dirty new turbo @

I've split the thread as it kinda went off topic :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=209909

:lol: Like most threads then, I do apologise my good man
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:02 pm

Well so it’s not starting again. Stuck on the same road as before so thinking it’s cursed. And I’ve just booked a non-refundable ferry trip :oops: Feels different but some of the codes are familiar:

Pulled out and was in a rush so pushed the accelerator half way up the street and immediately after it cut out. Wouldn’t start again but was (and still is) cranking. Thought it might be fuel starvation as the tank is low and on a hill. Put 5L in and it started first time but cut out straight after. It’s been doing the same thing today so I don’t think low fuel tank was the issue just that I’d left it to go get the fuel. I’ve read the error codes and slightly different each time (seems normal):
P1664 FIP malfunction. This DTC may be caused by: FIP timing chain tension, PCM, FIP, Carry out the CAN Test.
P1564 FIP requesting reduced fuelling mode
P1631 PCM main relay, Open Circuit, short to ground or battery. May be caused by: Loose/poor battery connections at the battery and engine block, power relay (checked the battery connections seem good and earth and reading 12.8v in the engine bay)
P1664 (this one gives me nightmares) FIP Malfunction. May be caused be: FIP timing chain tension (hope not it’s less than a year old), PCM, FIP, Carry out the CAN Test.
P1631 PCM main relay. Open circuit, short circuit to ground or battery. may be cause by loose/poor battery connections, power relay

When i reset the DTC codes P1664 and P1564 come back straight away. The battery ones might have been caused by me cycling the battery isolator switch to see if that does anything. Ugh. This van doesn’t give a sh*t how much I look after and fix it, seems to just want to die.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:00 pm

DG-Unit wrote:Well so it’s not starting again. Stuck on the same road as before so thinking it’s cursed. And I’ve just booked a non-refundable ferry trip :oops: Feels different but some of the codes are familiar:

Pulled out and was in a rush so pushed the accelerator half way up the street and immediately after it cut out. Wouldn’t start again but was (and still is) cranking. Thought it might be fuel starvation as the tank is low and on a hill. Put 5L in and it started first time but cut out straight after. It’s been doing the same thing today so I don’t think low fuel tank was the issue just that I’d left it to go get the fuel. I’ve read the error codes and slightly different each time (seems normal):
P1664 FIP malfunction. This DTC may be caused by: FIP timing chain tension, PCM, FIP, Carry out the CAN Test.
P1631 PCM main relay, Open Circuit, short to ground or battery. May be caused by: Loose/poor battery connections at the battery and engine block, power relay (checked the battery connections seem good and earth and reading 12.8v in the engine bay)
P1664 (this one gives me nightmares) FIP Malfunction. May be caused be: FIP timing chain tension (hope not it’s less than a year old), PCM, FIP, Carry out the CAN Test.
P1631 PCM main relay. Open circuit, short circuit to ground or battery. may be cause by loose/poor battery connections, power relay

When i reset the DTC codes P1664 and P1564 come back straight away. The battery ones might have been caused by me cycling the battery isolator switch to see if that does anything. Ugh. This van doesn’t give a sh*t how much I look after and fix it, seems to just want to die.

P1564 and P1664 are usually the pump EDC not well.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:13 am

I’m wondering if i should chance pulling off the EDC and sending for repairs, hoping the garage didn’t fit a cheap timing chain kit last year that’s skipped a tooth. Do the symptoms match the EDC going? I’ve been very light on the throttle for a while so seemed significant the first time i boot it, this happens.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 pm

Process of elimination makes me think it’s the EDC so I’m not messing about wasting time. Whipped it off and sent it to Diesel Pump Repairs in Rugeley. Will report back.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:18 pm

DG-Unit wrote:Process of elimination makes me think it’s the EDC so I’m not messing about wasting time. Whipped it off and sent it to Diesel Pump Repairs in Rugeley. Will report back.

I don't think it's "process of elimination"...the fault codes point to it.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:47 pm

knobby1 wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:Process of elimination makes me think it’s the EDC so I’m not messing about wasting time. Whipped it off and sent it to Diesel Pump Repairs in Rugeley. Will report back.

Lord Knobrot

Well. Eliminating my paranoia the timing chain has gone again.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:35 am

DG-Unit wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Well. Eliminating my paranoia the timing chain has gone again.

Fair enough.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:47 pm

Repaired EDC came back quicker than expected. Fiddly to fit and worried about the crimped connections (apparently voids warranty if you solder). Was tricky doing the crimps with no space. Anyway, back on and started straight away. Error codes gone. Just got a bit of a flat battery to charge up. Here’s the link to the people I sent it to:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284076862880 ... media=COPY. They received it Wednesday 11am and it was back to me before 11am Saturday.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 1888 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 am

DG-Unit wrote: Here’s the link to the people I sent it to:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284076862880 ... media=COPY. They received it Wednesday 11am and it was back to me before 11am Saturday.

Last time i looked at that ebay advert what was only a couple of month ago that was closer to the £20 mark :shock:
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 1888 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:10 am

1888 wrote:
DG-Unit wrote: Here’s the link to the people I sent it to:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284076862880 ... media=COPY. They received it Wednesday 11am and it was back to me before 11am Saturday.

Last time i looked at that ebay advert what was only a couple of month ago that was closer to the £20 mark :shock:

No ill take that back :D it was just to take the code out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-CONVOY-V ... SwCGVX-otI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DG-Unit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:17 pm

So new EDC went in, didn’t throw any codes, started straight away. I turned the engine off to finish putting the air box and ducting on. Went to start and it goes to crank but doesn’t fire. So I do bled the furthest to passenger side injector in case air got in when I had the EDC off the pump but still not joy. Although reading 11.9v, my jump pack indicates the battery is toast which feels about right the number of times I’ve run it flat. So off to Halfords on the bus, new Yuasa battery reading 12.5v fitted and still will crank but not start… Have I missed something? It did start once and started strong but nothing since and all I did between the start and not starting was fit the air box and put my tools away
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 1888 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:28 pm

Ask your man who did the EDC if it comes back to you in a so called virgin state. Reason i ask i just not long changed my pump for a recon what came in the virgin state and there is a sequence in turning it on for the first time. I think its to do with the EDC reading the ECU immobiliser code or other way about.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DG-Unit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:46 pm

1888 wrote:Ask your man who did the EDC if it comes back to you in a so called virgin state. Reason i ask i just not long changed my pump for a recon what came in the virgin state and there is a sequence in turning it on for the first time. I think its to do with the EDC reading the ECU immobiliser code or other way about.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve asked and I’ll see what comes back but as it started the first time and there’s no PATS light/coil symbol/DTC codes I’m pretty sure they just kept it coded to the van as it was sent to them.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits