*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

(Mk6 90ps 2.4DI RWD) Alternator clutch pulley wobble

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: (Mk6 90ps 2.4DI RWD) Alternator clutch pulley wobble

Postby scas » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:20 pm

scas wrote:Ive never owned a mk6 with 3 wires going to the alternator, thats not to say theyre not out there, they all have a 3 pin connector but the ones ive had only have 2 wires

got that the wrong way round, should have been, ive never owned a mk6 with 3 connectors on the alternator, but yes they all have 3 wires going to it :oops:
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk6 2.4DI Alternator pulley wobble & Mk 6 vs 7 wiring pi

Postby fancourt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 pm

fancourt wrote:
Turns out that for the Mk6 alternator the connector pinout is:

Pin 1 = Dash Warning Light (white/green stripe)
Pin 2 = Digital Field Monitor (black)
Pin 3 = Battery Voltage Sense (red)

The Mk7 alternator pinout is:
Pin 1 = Digital Field Monitor (colour?)
Pin 2 = Dash Warning Light (colour?)

I haven't got a Mk7 alternator in front of me, so I have assumed that the pin on the side of the connector with a square edge is "pin 1".

Ok - it's apparently too late for the forum system to let me edit my post above to correct my assumption. I now have a Mk7 alternator in front of me and Pin 1 is the ROUND side of the connector, not the side with the square outside edge.

So the Correct Mk7 alternator pinout is:
Pin 1 = Dash Warning Light (Mk7 wire colour still unknown)
Pin 2 = Digital Field Monitor (Mk7 wire colour still unknown)

These pin numbers actually match the Mk6 pin numbers.

Another curiousity I've just noticed with the battery voltage sense wire on the Mk6, the original Ford User Manual (the actual one that came from the factory with this van) says Fuse #4 in the engine compartment fusebox is the battery voltage sense wire fuse. The Haynes manual agrees ( :shock: )... But - in my fusebox this fuse is not there and one of the metal terminals for that fuse holder is missing altogether, suggesting it was never installed from the factory. I still have continuity between the sense wire at the alternator connector and battery positive though, but I can't imagine Ford just deleted the fuse altogether and connected the wire up direct - without any protection??

Interestingly the Ford User Manual also says this fuse is for "Diesel engines only" - what's that all about? :?
fancourt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits