*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Rear axle shim cage

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 Rear axle shim cage

Postby northernboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:47 pm

My rear wheels have endplay that I would like to reduce. I understand the way to do this is to fit a shim cage and if required then add shims.( as per the official Ford Recall method)

I have tried to find one of these cages - anyone know what their official name is of has a part number

Also - where can I buy one - main dealer ?
northernboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 Rear axle shim cage

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:43 pm

northernboy wrote:My rear wheels have endplay that I would like to reduce. I understand the way to do this is to fit a shim cage and if required then add shims.( as per the official Ford Recall method)

I have tried to find one of these cages - anyone know what their official name is of has a part number

Also - where can I buy one - main dealer ?

I thought it was an issue with adustment of the shims themselves...there's many thicknesses available, 10 I believe... #17 here..:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NDE2KzA%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ray Austin » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:27 pm

Our mark 6 when we owned it lost a wheel on a bend after the halfshaft popped out of the diff. It was fixed by ford on a recall but they fit a cage to make sure the c clip never moves again, Never had a problem after that. Also lost a wheel on our new mark 8 but that another story the bolts sheared holding the hub on.
Ray Austin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:59 am

Ray Austin wrote:Our mark 6 when we owned it lost a wheel on a bend after the halfshaft popped out of the diff. It was fixed by ford on a recall but they fit a cage to make sure the c clip never moves again, Never had a problem after that. Also lost a wheel on our new mark 8 but that another story the bolts sheared holding the hub on.

I've heard of some people actually welding the "C" clip to the half shaft to stop it falling out....

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby northernboy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 am

Interesting - the diagram shows different thickness C Clips ( washers) so I guess this is also a way to reduce end float

The forum below says fit a cage ( to stop these ever coming out) and shim if required to reduce end play)

posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=749197

I think I will pop into my local Ford main dealer and see what they say
northernboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northernboy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 pm

I got a new shim cage which is comprised of two plastic parts that clip together I also got two 1.7mm shims.

I opened the rear cover and found a cage had been fitted bit no shims.

The only way to fit the shims is to remove the cage but this almost impossible with destroying it as the plastic clips snap off (so glad I had a replacement)

Fitted the new shims and cage, cleaned and refitted the cover plate and fresh SAE 75W-140 oil

Will take Van out for a drive when I have replaced the rear brake shoes and see how it goes.
northernboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits